Archinect
anchor

Undergraduate- Choosing a Path

chichi

I am one of those people who knew since the age of 5 that I wanted to be an architect. I am an international student and recently finished my A-levels. My result were good, and when calculated my GPA is 3.9.  I want to try to get into a good US program and I realize that there are two paths to choose. What I should also mention is that I really need aid, possibly a scholarship and that I have plans to return back to my country and build my career here.

So my question is should I jump straight into a B.Arch(5 year) program and get my M.Arch in 2 years or do a Bachelors in a liberal arts school and do a 3 year M.Arch? My school counselor tells me Architecture schools do not give good aid where as some liberal arts colleges will meet my needs. She is right?
Thanks. 

Sep 5, 13 1:08 pm
observant

Where country are you in - the UK (I see "A-levels")?  Chichi, are you male or female?  (In Spanish, calling oneself "chichi" is, well, interesting).  Your GPA is excellent.  How are your artistic and creative skills, in tangible form? There are 3 paths here in "the colonies:"

1.  5 year B.Arch. (and you do NOT need further education after that) (accredited)

2.  4 year BA/BS  in Arch. (not accredited) + 2 year M.Arch. (accredited)

3.  4 year BA/BS in any subject + 3 (.5) year M.Arch. (accredited)

I don't know if it's true or not about the aid.  If you're a foreign student, aid might be harder to come by.  They have to take of the Americans with demonstrated financial need, excellent scholastic performance, or both.  Thus, if you really want to come to the U.S., I would recommend choices 1 and 3 shown above.

If you are an urbanite somewhere, you will have to figure out where in the U.S. doing a  B.Arch. will work for you, to buffer the culture shock.  If you choose to go for another degree prior to a M.Arch., what do you plan to study?  Will it be psychology or economics, or will it be art or urban planning?  Or something else?  Whatever it is, you will need to be developing creative skills and a creative product in the meantime, to assemble a portfolio. 

I think choice 2 is the least palatable for you, if they don't award financial aid in architecture.      

Any other opinions?                           

Sep 5, 13 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
chichi

Thank you for your reply. I have decided to apply to a range of schools and see where it would be possible for me to get into and then choose between path 1 and 3. I got an A in my A-level Art and Design..so i guess I so have a fair amount of artistic skills as I have also won some contests.I also have an eye for photography so I'm hoping that helps my portfolio. How does LA sound? 

Sep 8, 13 1:30 am  · 
 · 
observant

Ok, so you have cleared the hurdle that you can assemble creative exhibits for a portfolio.

Now, by LA, do you mean landscape architecture or studying in Los Angeles?  If landscape architecture, do you mean as an undergraduate or doing a first M.L.A. instead?

Sep 9, 13 10:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: