Archinect
anchor

Want to sell your firm?

marlowe

So, in these hard times if anyone out there wants to bring on another partner or cash-out their firm send me a message.

I have a stack of cash sitting in t-bills and I'd rather buy-in as a partner than continue the slow and painful process of moving up the corporate ladder.

I'm licensed in many states, have client contacts and people like me.

Oct 8, 08 12:03 pm
johnszot

hahahahahahahahahthis is an awesome thread already.

Oct 8, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

I'm sure you understand that there's way more to being a partner than a pile of cash - although, it is refreshing to see an aspirant with capital to put at risk.

Oct 8, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
binary

do you like vettes?

Oct 8, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
marlowe

Vettes? No. I like architecture and alfa romeo's.

Oct 8, 08 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My husband had a guy offer him $20K for his Ranchero last week. Should we have taken it? It's probably not worth that much, though it is impeccable.

marlowe, are you worried you could buy into a firm that has no work? I'm afraid that's going to be a lot of us in the near future.

Oct 8, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

if you have the $$$, start your own firm. that way you don't have to worry about any legacy issues, accounts payables, or personalities.

Oct 8, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
binary

20k for a ranchero is good loot...

i'm trying to get 18gs for my 77vette..... if i would have restored it back to stock it could pull at least 18.....but 77 vettes are not the 'cool' ones to have..... plus its a custom....sooo.....

i want a laser machine and a cnc machine

Oct 8, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
tenn

anybody have any ideas how much cash it takes to buy into a firm as a partner? i know it varies based on geography, size of firm, workload, egos, and many other variables, but what are some ballpark estimates or best guesses?

Oct 8, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
marlowe

I have 700,000 and a fantastic expresso machine.

Oct 8, 08 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I have an '86 alfa romeo spider graduate convertible (yes dustin hoffman style) that needs a new carb but I'll sell for 3 gs. However, no architecture firm included (though there might be one in the trunk, i haven't gone through it in years).

Oct 8, 08 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

700,000 what? with no units that could be anything

and i'm partial to cimbali espresso machines

Oct 8, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i'm thinking about growing dirt and selling it....... then i can breed worms

Oct 8, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

you sound like this guy/smarmy and all

damn phuyake thats' a nice ride, matches nicely with Liberty's blue miata...it must be an architect thing (no firm attached)

Oct 8, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Good point, puddles.

Maybe it's 700,000 black turtlenecks.

Or perhaps cool plastic rim glasses?

Oct 8, 08 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

if its zimbabwe dollars that won't even buy a loaf of bread

Oct 8, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

700,000 bits?

Oct 8, 08 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
cayne1

700,000 naughty bits?

Oct 8, 08 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
marlowe

I have 1 dollar and 699,999 IOU's for a dollar.

Oct 8, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

hate to say it, marlowe, but with this thread, i think you've just set yourself up to receive spam from every spammer in nigeria.

Oct 8, 08 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
anti

I have 700,000 pieces of rice. Ill trade you for a swingline stapler and a nice looking receptionist.

Oct 8, 08 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
archie

tenn;
The value of a firm depends on a lot of things, mostly its profitability and the likelihood of the firm continuing on without 1 key individual. For example, a firm that has 4 or 5 partners will be valued higher than a firm that has one single 'rainmaker' who is trying to sell.
Typically architectural firms sell for around .8 times their annual billings for architectural services, so a firm that invoices $1million in architectural sales (not including engineers and reimbursables ) would sell for around $800,000, but this is just a rule of thumb. Usually the profitability of the firm is a big factor. A firm that EARNS $1,000,000 in profit after all expenses might be worth 2 to 5 times that, depending on the likelihood of continuing on. So a firm that invoices say $8 to 10 million and makes $1million in profit might only be worth $2 million if they key owner is leaving, but would be worth up to $10 million if it has all the key clients and staff in place to continue running.
And then you have to figure what are you buying? Most sales exclude the cash and receivables that are in the business. For a business doing $6million a year, the cash and receivables could easily be worth and additional $1 to $2 million.

Oct 31, 08 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

There's actually a dude in Portland looking to have a Partner buy in. Check out aiaportland.com and then employment opportunities.

Nov 5, 08 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: