Archinect
anchor

When do you quit?

tokoloshee

What is the last straw that makes you leave your current job?

Oct 6, 08 9:40 pm
binary

i would say a knife fight

Oct 6, 08 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

when? not during a recession

Oct 6, 08 10:21 pm  · 
1  · 
toasteroven

If you've looked up "hostile work environment," or "how to deal with an abusive boss" on google.

even in a recession there's no reason to be treated like garbage.

Oct 6, 08 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

If I left I'd be leaving myself. How would that unfold?
Self > You hog all the design work and I'm leaving
Self > You talkin' to me! You talkin' to me! Lemme show you somethin'!

Alas, garbage... it's all you could hope to aspire to execute your theory on these days. I just want to roll around in the garbage so I can say "Hey guys look at me. And I made it out of trash."

Oct 7, 08 1:17 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

scale tossed @ yer head

Oct 7, 08 1:26 am  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

i quit when they took my stapler away.

Oct 7, 08 1:58 am  · 
 · 
la_la

I'll quit when the sexual harassment case gets ripe... j/k [kinda, damnit]
I'm too scared of the economy to actually make another move but I enjoy telling myself that in better times I'd be more transient. Develop some irony - I know it's terrible but with things the way they are in the $$$ world its healthy to gain perspective on workplace environments like fodder for your memoirs ,or for learning how to not do things when you are in charge. I guess some degree of distance helps? I'd never say it's healthy though...

Oct 7, 08 2:19 am  · 
 · 
bothands

After the 500th vinyl wall base or ac tile ceiling detail...

Oct 7, 08 3:42 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

one month remaining. i knew i was going to quit after 2-3 years. i counted out many straws on the way; think i've put them away in a make-me-stronger jar for safekeeping. i might use them to blow out paper bullets at forthcoming bullies. i guess i might to 6 months to a year in the new office, then maybe a year or two in the one after that. then i might go back to working as a waiter, i liked being a waiter though i only did that during one summer when i was at uni.

more generally, its a thought whether you want to stay around long enough in an office for someone else in the office to die.

Oct 7, 08 8:03 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

when you aren't learning anything anymore, and have another job lined up already

Oct 7, 08 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Even with a "hostile workplace" situation people have different thresholds and different definitions of hostile.
There was a thread on here a year or so ago where somebody felt very demeaned by having had an eraser tossed at her by a partner or manager who was on a conference call and wanted to get her attention so she'd turn around and see him gesturing for her to stop typing loudly at her desk. Many responded that they wouldn't take that very seriously in and of itself. Others said they'd quit on the spot. I wouldn't quit over that.
On another forum I saw a thread about somebody who witnessed a physical fight between two IT people in his office one day, about which the management did nothing and the instigator got promoted soon afterward. Nobody quit over that. I might though. Physical violence crosses the threshold for "intolerable workplace" as far as I'm concerned.
For some an office where people are relentlessly cold and unfriendly will drive them to despair. For others this would little bearing on their career decisions.
For some not moving up the ladder quickly would be intolerable, or not being in a design role some or all of the time, or being assigned the same tasks day in and day out. For others these are not their concerns - I just read an article about an architect who has been with a local firm for over 50 years, in the role of "production draftsman" because that's the role he felt most comfortable in.

Oct 7, 08 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
med.

What if you were REALLY considering leaving a current firm that is tanking (due to the economy) for a better offer at a firm that is doing extremely well?

Oh and it just so happens that I've called last straws at this firm about 8 months ago but decided to keep giving things a chance. I've dealt with some real ass hats.

Oct 8, 08 8:42 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

ass hats?

Oct 8, 08 9:37 am  · 
 · 
med.

I heard it on archinect first....

Oct 8, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Archmed: what do you mean by "what if"?

If you were "REALLY considering leaving" a tanking firm where you're working with ass hats, for a better offer at a firm that's doing well, then what would be the big question there?

I'd expect in that situation that all the questions would be small and merely logistical - like: when's your last day? how much tying up of existing projects is there to do? have you gotten any/all personal files, emails, etc. off your computer at your old job? are you going to send an email to your professional contacts telling them that you're moving on and giving them your new email address?

Look: there aren't too many people in this field or any others who stay with a firm for 50 years, like the guy I mentioned above.
In fact according to NCARB the average architecture intern has 4 or 5 jobs before they get licensed.
Sticking with a good firm where you're happy certainly makes sense - I'm not encouraging having 5 jobs in 3 years just for the hell of it. (And having 5 jobs in 3 years is not going to help your resume, in the eyes of most potential employers.)
But quitting a job where you're unhappy, unmotivated, and the firm is tanking anyway just shouldn't be that big of a deal. Just count to 3 and jump!

Oct 8, 08 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Bloop, done.

It's all but official. Thanks for your input.

Oct 8, 08 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Ass hats are those round protruberances that developers love to put on the corners of buildings as of late.

Oct 8, 08 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: