Archinect
anchor

Model stand

I'm looking for a nice, simple model stand, preferably made of wood for use during presentations. I've searched a bit here and online, and nothing specific strikes me. I'm sure this is something that could be easily made or I could find a table or stoool or something that could work, but I was hoping someone might know of anything--whether specifically designed to display models or not--that would make a nice model stand.

Oct 2, 08 5:51 pm
binary

how big is the model

if its a site model and large... 2 saw horses and get black fabric from the store....

Oct 2, 08 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

ikea table? the flat stuff?

u can make it yourself too,, just a big block of wood,, with grains,,

early morphosis style,, oh, the good ol days

im nostalgic to a time when i wasnt even born :S

Oct 2, 08 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

cryzko needs work. Get him to make something you will keep.

Oct 2, 08 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

take 2 pieces of mdf or plywood and notch them so that they slide together, forming an X. Place another piece of above mentioned material on top and screw together....you can design a building but cant design a fuckin model stand...

Oct 2, 08 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
binary

hhahaha...... thanks for the support....

Oct 2, 08 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

i'm still waiting for my model stand license, so i'd have to get someone else to stamp it... of course i can design a "fucking model stand", mdler. i was actually thinking the same thing, only just the two notched pieces and resting the model on the top of those. this is for the office where i work, though, and i was going to suggest just building one like that, but wanted to see if there were any other good ideas out there. i think you've just validated the x idea though. thanks, and sorry i can't get you any work just yet, cryzko. by the way, did i see that you went to wentworth? they have the notched x model stands, which is where i got (stole) the idea.

Oct 2, 08 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i went to detroit mercy.... 6mile/livernois.... right in the hood.... sooo many memories.....

if your really good.... just make a 3 legged tripod stand....this way you dont have to shim a leg

Oct 2, 08 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i really like the mario botta school of model bases...

Oct 2, 08 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
dia

get Per to design one for you....

Oct 2, 08 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
dia

or, promote one of your interns to be "Chief Model Holder" and get them to stand in the reception area holding the model from 9-5 with a bear fur hat. Get another intern to stand in for their lunch break.

Oct 2, 08 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

diabase wins

Oct 3, 08 12:07 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

@ fays.panda, i don't recall ever seeing an "early morphosis style" model stand (i've only see one in person and it was hanging on a wall) .... could you elaborate or point me to some info?
thanks

Oct 3, 08 8:42 am  · 
 · 
PodZilla

When mdler suggested notched mdf above, I began to fear that this thread was about to take a turn into 3dh land. I'm still getting emails from the '3dh generative design w/ grasshopper' thread...

Oct 3, 08 10:29 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

haha, I love the suggestion diabase, except that there are only five people in the office. and I'm the least experience, so I think that would end up being the CMH.

we'd also have to get a reception area...

those Botta stands are really cool for the sectional models. what I'm looking for is not for one specific model, but for whichever one is being discussed during a meeting, so I think the x is still the way to go. My other thought was maybe using an Aalto-type bent plywood stool, but the x is nice, because it can be stored away easily, or if the model is large, laid on its side with the model on top the long way.

Oct 3, 08 11:44 am  · 
 · 

as I tell my students - put your models on the floor!!

I always prefer floating models though for display purposes - so get some sky hooks and attach them to the model in descreet ways.

Oct 4, 08 9:26 am  · 
 · 
mdler

i like my models on their backs...

Oct 4, 08 11:18 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Heck, a notched-plane base could be made of foamcore -- the issue would be rotational movement. How about a length of Sonotube ? Botta-on-the-cheap. . .

Oct 4, 08 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

mdler's model:

Oct 4, 08 10:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: