Archinect
anchor

How to get DOB to approve Solatube & fiber-optic INLIEU of windows for bedrooms

nonarchitect

Has anyone succesfully done this, esp. in NYC ? I have a very deep but narrow building..a "through lot", but it would be economically unfeasible to have less than 3 bedrooms per floor. However, since these units would be for sale I need them to be legal bedrooms in the C.of O

Oct 1, 08 8:52 pm
binary

isnt the main reason for windows in bedrooms for exiting if theres a fire/etc.....

b

Oct 1, 08 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
blah

There's gotta be a second way out

Oct 1, 08 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

Light and air, not just a place to jump. . .

I think the question is really do you need to call out or built out an area as a bedroom. and how do you market its potential.

Oct 1, 08 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Light and air is obvious, the escape capability isn't addressed by the Solatube (as well as ventilation)

Oct 2, 08 12:58 am  · 
 · 
postal

combination solatube/slide? hmmm...

marketability for super heros: up
commute time: down

Oct 2, 08 9:26 am  · 
 · 
kanu

You might be able to work something where the main exit / entrance to each room is are directly into a sealed path of egress most likely with a positive pressure fan, similar to how elevator shafts and emergency exit stairs function for high-rises that don’t have operable windows for egress. It would be a long shot though and take a lot more fire rated enclosures and doors that it doesn’t sound like you have room for. I guess you still wouldn't have a redundant exit strategy either but perhaps if you could convince them that the one is total secure and fail proof it could work. But I’m no expert

Oct 2, 08 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: