they also have a very good description of the underlying program itself:
link

Oct 1, 08 2:16 pm
MArch n' unemployed

awesome. i heart rhino

Oct 1, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

did you check out the price? It's more expensive than Rhino itself…

David Rutten had a script for v3 that does something similar

Oct 1, 08 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

It may not be as pretty, but you can do it for free with CADISI.

You can export to dxf and modify it from there. Here in AutoCAD:

Oct 1, 08 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

what does it do that Sweep2 or Loft don"t...?

Oct 1, 08 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

what concerns me is i see trimmed quads in your screen capture

FEA takes the materials properties into account and what the KIPS will do to the fabric at the stress points/tie downs.

Oct 1, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

oh thats actually pretty cool.

Oct 1, 08 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

For that circus commission...

Oct 1, 08 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

Honestly, it's been four years since I used it. I don't remember if CADISI has a finite element analysis tool or not - I would just drop it into Solidworks if it didn't - but I doubt that you'll be asked to know enough structural engineering to be concerned about the technical details beyond the schematic design, unless you work for an engineering firm, in which case you wouldn't be using Rhino anyway. And, like I said, it's free!

Oct 1, 08 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

its not the challenge of modelling thats in questions, its working with the parameters of the material, stresses, and method, their influence on the model, that interests people here, i do believe
but free is free. perhaps its still around.

Oct 1, 08 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

Actually, could be fun:
http://www.formfinder.at/main/downloads/#c173 (after entering some inocuous personal info)

Even has an "Analyse_in_Rhino4.pdf"

Oct 1, 08 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

Take a look at the program. It is specifically a form finding tool for generating textile structures. It is not a tool for modeling the a priori.

Oct 2, 08 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

Nice one. From the description on the website, it seems to have some serious capabilities. I've been looking for some ability to directly model fabrics in this fashion. It seems to approach the subject from a logical standpoint, net tensile, positive stress fields are the key to creating functional, rigid forms.

Oct 2, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
antoni

Formfinder: I just received a new Version with steel and cable: I wrote this guy and as I am student it was easy to get access to Formfinder Professional! With the Pro I also have access to a database called "project finder". I mailed rwehdorn@wehdorn.at

Nov 23, 08 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: