Archinect
anchor

ARB and RIBA reformation

dsze

ARB fee goes up 10%

Although it is not a tremendous amount but I do not see what ARB did for us, architect and I am not happy that we are obliged to pay 80 pounds every year to get a title without any legal function.

On top of the RIBA membership, each architect at least have to pay 300 pounds a year. With the job market and salary situation now, it is not reasonable to increase the fee.

Architects are originally being marginalised. We have paid at least 5 years of education and at least another 2 years of professional practice, and get a salary around 30K. While a 3D modeling rendering could graduate from a diploma class (2 yars) and earn the same salary as a registered architect.

We should not suppress our own community but we should encourage and try to expand our professional laibility. We are more than capable enough to do fire engineering job, project management and a lot of consultancy services to the client, just a little extra training would help.

ARB and RIBA should COOPERATE, (I have heard too many embarrassing discussion between these two societies) and help our architects to get more social benefits.

RIBA keeps sending email asking me to work as a volunteer and pay for extremely expensive CPD (many of them more than 100 pounds even it is a membership price). These kind of elite culture should change.

RIBA should have stronger and clear direction to the architecture education system and professional practice.

For example, at least 50% of the part 2 studio teachers should be a chartered RIBA members (it is both benefical to RIBA and the professions). Also RIBA should provide stronger guidelines for employers making sure they have provide good training for new part 2, a lot of part 2 students work unpaid and overtime because they have to get part 3. RIBA should also help architects to extend market and extends our professional services. We could do Project Management and we could do more responsibility not only aesthetic!

We had some very grand RIBA awards ceremony and open house which are good, but what architects professionals REALLY need are more substantial and down to earth policy not just some grand parties and job done for that year.

Sep 27, 08 1:47 pm
TED
Are architecture schools turning into factory farms?

ARB and RIBA have no standing or ownership on what make a 'Architect' and to claim they should make up 2/3 of staff is rubbish - most riba practictioners are rubbish - is that what you want???

just open your eyes and look at what is built in this country!

Sep 29, 08 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
dsze

That is not my point.

Oct 2, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: