Archinect
anchor

Rhino-calling all pro's please!

RossM

Hi,

I'm teaching myself Rhino but I'm having trouble understanding it's heirachy. I'm struggling with the relationship between cuves, polycurves, surfaces, polysurfaces, solids and meshes.

It seems that some commands won't fully work for me if my object is not a polysurface etc.

A good example was when I tried to variable chamfer a polysurface today, but the rail was limited to just one of the edges within that polysurface...What would be your general workaround when this happens to you?

It's probably a simple thing...thats why I chose to post here instead of the newsgroup.

Thanks for your help.

Sep 27, 08 11:40 am

a 'poly'-whatever is the joining of several objects, and therefore cannot be edited as a single object.

rhino is primarily a nurbs modeler. therefore, I think you should start by working with curves and lofting them to create nurb surfaces. those you will see remain parented and editable.

Sep 27, 08 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

i.e. polylines are the combination of many individual lines. a curve (1 deg, 2 deg, 3deg, etc), which is a single object, can be drawn to create the same effect as a polyline but will have control points that you can move (press f10).

Sep 27, 08 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

and you also have a different toolset for each type of surface. There are tools for meshes, surfaces and the poly-surface/ solid. If you use the chamfer tool for the "solid tools" you should have no problems.

Sep 28, 08 9:40 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

once you understand how to extract curves and surfaces from your solids and recombine then back to water tight you will be ok

back in 96 when i found this ability that i could not have in any autodesk product (mech desktop) it was a very happy day.

chamfet solid, i wished that command, all the more reason to love this app

Sep 29, 08 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

The biggest obstacle that I have seen for new Rhino users (may sound funny but true) is understanding the working planes. Once you figure (probaly already have) how to adjust and modify your planes everything else becomes down hill.

Oct 16, 08 1:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: