Archinect
anchor

Chicago architect-to-be seeks employment. (me)

psteiner

Hello all - My name is Pamela Steiner; I am currently an unemployed architect and designer here in Chicago frustrated with the job search as it has been going so far. My short history is that I graduated from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago with a Bachelor's of Interior Architecture in 2005, I attended Archeworks (and wrote a schoolblog about it) Alternative Design School from 2005-2006 where I was part of team that worked in Chicago Public Schools, and began working at Liederbach and Graham Architects here in Chicago Fall 2006. Liederbach and Graham ( www.liederbachandgraham.com ) is a high-end residential firm doing mostly single family work. In my time there I worked as Intern Architect and Project Architect on several projects; working with other interns, project architects, and architects on all phases of design and construction. From picking up redlines, to working on CD sets, to field consults with contractors and clients.

I left L&G in June of 2008 to begin an Internship Program in Urban Sustainability thru Foresight Design Initiative; where not only the built environment was considered in sustainable advancement, but also the community. The internship program ended mid-August and I have full time job searching since then.

I have skills that fill the technical experience needed at an Architecture Firm.

I have skills in community development, design initiatives, and implementation.

I have skills that would be an asset to an architecture firm that is hiring.

Any takers? Any leads? Know where I should be looking that's not one of the usual spots?

All advice is greatly appreciated and if you 've made it all the way here - thank you very much for reading. If you'd like more info or would like to get in contact, please email me at:

plsteiner at gmail dot com

-pamela

Sep 24, 08 5:29 pm
ether

check your email.

Sep 24, 08 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Punch84

Wondering what became of your search Pamela...

Nov 13, 08 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
dutchmodernist

Just curious - how can you become an architect with an interiors degree?

Don't you have to have a NAAB-accredited degree to become licensed? Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll start calling myself an architect, too! (j/k)

Nov 15, 08 11:01 am  · 
 · 
psteiner

Things turned out really well (just took alot of stress and footwork to get there) - I am now happily employed at a large firm - a big change from the 7 person firm I was at previously. This job ended up coming from a lead I hadn't even applied for. A friend recommended me and here I am...

Nov 15, 08 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
psteiner

call yourself what you want, but get ready to be sued. Interiors vs Interior Architecture vs Architecture are all VERY different degrees and pursuits. You can get an accredited degree in an interiors program. You can get an accredited degree in an architecture program. There is no such thing as an accreditation for interior architecture - it would prob be illegal to call yourself an 'interior architect'

Nov 15, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Punch84

That's awesome. Congrats on the new position!

Nov 15, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
dutchmodernist

psteiner...that was my point...interior architecture programs are CIDA accredited, not NAAB accredited - I was wondering how you are able to call yourself an "architect-to-be".

Nov 17, 08 1:09 am  · 
 · 
psteiner

architect to be...someday I will work long enough to get the required extra hours or go to an accredited school for a masters degree. Being able to call myself an architect though really isn't that big of a deal to me though. I may go for licensing - I may not. Not important to me at this point.
Architect-to-be = I am not yet, but am working towards it.

Nov 17, 08 7:50 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

ummm, yeah psteiner, but does it mean that you are getting ready to be sued? I think you said it for yourself in your earlier post.
I'm not against anything, but well, I'm as confused as dutchm.

Nov 17, 08 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
fulcrum

btw, congrats, psteiner. It's tough to land ANY job in these days.

Nov 17, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

you even called yourself an architect: "Hello all - My name is Pamela Steiner; I am currently an unemployed ARCHITECT and designer here in Chicago"

Nov 17, 08 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

Kids, get off Pamela's back. Every want ad out there is either for an "intern architect" or "junior architect" or "intermediate architect", etc.... If these openings were for registered positions they would just advertise "architect", maybe "senior" or "design". Personally, I think the whole naming of jobs in the architecture profession has gotten completely out of hand. I don't even know what it is I'm applying for these days.

Nov 17, 08 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

im not meaning to jump on anyone's back and good for pamela for finding a job in this market, that is not easy. i only posted because of her post above telling dutchmod to be careful about being sued...after she called herself an architect.

anyway i wish we could all go back to talking about inspiring work rather than countless depressing threads on layoffs.

Nov 17, 08 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
fulcrum

oh nono, I am not at all trying to make fuss out of anything here, dude. Technically, it's not right to call yourself an architect without getting licensed, but to me it's somewhat acceptable, because I've seen many un-licensed architects who are more capable "doing" architecture than some registered ones.
It was actually Pamela who sounded like trying to "correct" dutchm for asking the question, and Pamela's answer was somewhat contradicting what he had said earlier (as MArch06 said).
Anyway, Pamela re-explained it as "architect-to-be," so well, that's fine. I wish Pamela the best and eventually she can just call herself an architect.

Nov 17, 08 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
fulcrum

oops, I meant "what SHE had said earlier." sorry.

Nov 17, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: