Archinect
anchor

Illustrator - autosave

mookie

Hello - I hope somebody has information on autosave function for Illustrator, as my program crashes frequently. The files are not big, and the operations are not that complex, it just closes down, and I lose all my work if I have forgotten to save along the way. (I do that of course, but sometimes I forget).

Is there an autosave for Illustrator that I can download from the internet? I cannot find anything under Help function, nor in this discussion fora, at least not any recent posts, nor in Adobe fora - only about Mac autosave. I use CS3.

Thanks!

Sep 24, 08 4:41 am
trace™

are you using Vista? Man, it sucks in Vista (my XP machines runs CS3 just fine). I have the same problem - it is a ram issue, as far as I know (if I close all other windows it is usually fine).

Don't know, though, I can't stand autosaves.

Sep 24, 08 8:04 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

ctrl+S

...if a file size issue is not the culprit, i'd try re-installing the software if this becomes too bothersome to be productive.

Sep 24, 08 8:44 am  · 
 · 
mookie

trace - it's XP - but may be a ram issue anyway, it's the computer at work, and not the best capacity. I have XP at home, and never had the trouble there. thanks though, for your time

cowgill - ctrl+S? never heard of it, I only press X in the right corner by the end of the day, sometimes I say "Yes", and sometimes I say "No", depending on how productive I want to feel ;-)

Sep 24, 08 9:13 am  · 
 · 
A.R.Ch

My illustrator program used to crash so hard that it once uninstalled itself from the hard drive.

I haven't had any problems since I reinstalled it, though.

Sep 24, 08 9:23 am  · 
 · 
allSTAR

this could also be a RAM issue. maybe you need to upgrade ur RAM. I had this same issue but fortunately it resolved on its own when i restarted my pc.

Sep 24, 08 11:11 am  · 
 · 
trace™

yup, restarting'll clean out the system. Pain in the ass, though. My files typically run 150mg-400mb, so saving takes a while.

I hate Vista.

Sep 24, 08 11:17 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

atta boy ~ shoot from the hip!

... i like your style mook

vista does suck

@trace, are you running any RAID arrays (...0)? I've often wondered if this would help out much. fwiw, there's not a lot of difference (saving/opening) between sata 10k and 7.2k drives...

Sep 24, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
mookie

ok - stay off Vista and get more RAM - it figures, it has had hickups since I got it installed, so I'll try a Christmas cleanup on the computer, and see how that works

thanks for input, all of you - I hate autosaves too, but in the midst of deadlines and tears, I would have welcomed it dearly many a time

(mook is a girl)

Sep 24, 08 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

... i still like your style ;)

Sep 24, 08 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: