Archinect
anchor

will the new company keep their promises?

phase123

I'm changing job mainly because my old company (mid sized) pigeon hole me, I'd worked two years mainly on presentation. I do have great graphic and concept design skills, but I'm more interested in the technical part of architecture, and I think that's what will make me to be a good architect, at least to be registered.

then I was interviewed at a smaller company (about 20 ppl), they said they like my talent and said they will staff people per project not per task. It's kinda promising because they've a smaller staff size and they do a lot of small projects as well as big projects.

anyone had experience changing jobs and know will the new companies usually keep their promises? or I should work on straighten things out at my old company? thanks.

Sep 23, 08 9:38 pm
MArch n' unemployed

be thankful you have the opportunity right now, i've been looking for 2 months

Sep 23, 08 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
binary

been looking for 4 years...hehehe

i would make sure you stay on your toes in what you want to get out of the firm/tasks

Sep 23, 08 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
phase123

I think I want more all around experiences, more trust to run the projects and more respect of professional development which is obviously missing in my old job but promised from the new employer...

Sep 23, 08 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

phase123: I don't think there can be any generalites that will answer your question - every firm is different.

if you're really unsure, I'd find a way to make contact with some of the employees of the new firm - that shouldn't be too hard if you're reasonably well connected in your community. ask a few of those folks - especially some who have been there for a number of years - about their own experiences. if you can find some former employees to speak with, that might be helpful too.

also - trust your own judgment. what have the interviews been like? did you feel they were just telling you what you wanted to hear - or did the people across the table seem honest and authentic?

good luck.

Sep 24, 08 8:58 am  · 
 · 
phase123

thanks, quizzical, I'll try talking to my friends and find out info. the hard part is I don't want everyone to know before I make up my mind to work for the new company. and what you expect their current employee to tell you if they've to stay in the firm for a while?

the interview is great! people seems trusting and some project architect/ manager are in their early 30s.

but actually what concerns me is there're a lot of architects left in a relative short period of time last year and during interview I was told their office environment is casual and fun, they work hard, some people like it, some not.... maybe it's normal...but if the office is fun to work in, why so many people leave ?

Sep 24, 08 10:34 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

you could just tell the recruiting firm that before you make a decision you'd like to stop by for about an hour or so, at their convenience, so you could visit privately with a few members of their staff. say you want to get a better idea of the kind of people you'd be calling "colleagues".

I get this request fairly often and always try to provide that access -- to me, the request shows a certain maturity and awareness that suggests your interest is in making a career at their firm - not just finding a job.

i recognize this isn't as solid as meeting these folks through friends or outside the office, where they could speak more freely. but, at least you could inquire why those other people left and get some "non official" response to that question.

Sep 24, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: