Archinect
anchor

Flatwork alternate..

SPYDER01

Does anyone have any suggestions on a material that can be used in lieu of asphalt or concrete. It is for a drive/parking area for a residence. It now has crushed granite, however, the homeowner is interested in an alternate.. any suggestions appreciated.. thx

Sep 23, 08 7:35 pm
holz.box

grasscrete?

Sep 23, 08 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

dirt

Sep 24, 08 1:21 am  · 
 · 
Joshua_Yates
http://www.soilretention.com/drivablegrass.html

or

http://www.omnipropittsburgh.com/turfstone.html

I first saw this product used at the dia Beacon. They use it in parking lot and turnaround. a great product that allows drainage but still maintains level wear proof surfaces plus the wear of the grass in more traveled areas creates a great variation across the terrain

Sep 24, 08 1:37 am  · 
 · 
antipod

I think there some plastic versions which have no upward face (if you know what I mean). I don't think they take heavy traffic but should be fine with cars.

Sep 24, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

depending on the climate, there are various polymers that can stabilize the soil that are the cheapest alternative.

geotextiles and rigid cellular reinforcement is next up in cost - I'm not much of a fan - they're plastic and not pleasant to walk on. but they are previous. you can plant grass in them (with variable luck) or use a decomposed granite/gravel fill

flatwork is the next price point - asphalt can be cheaper then concrete for small projects - but all depends on the local mixing plants and contractors

pervious concrete and asphalt require substantial subgrade work to work and must be perfectly flat. and are more expensive because of the rarity and specialized installation skills

unitized pavers - concrete, bricks, stone are the most expensive cause of labor. material costs are significant too, especially once you get into stone. popular stones are granite cobbles/setts, bluestone flagstones. masonry can be either a rigid installation (concrete slab backing it up) or flexible over a compacted sub-base - flexible is cheaper.

grasscrete is a variation of unitized pavers with a flexible base

I have also seen wood logs as driveways in arid locations.

Sep 24, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: