Archinect
anchor

Adobe CS4

in case you missed it, CS4 was announced this morning

tidbits: photoshop has a new "content aware scaling" feature that automatically detects critical elements in an image and keeps them the same size when you scale the image--looks pretty sweet.

flash has a new skeleton system with IK (inverse kinematics) that seems magical (the demonstrator just drew a couple of bones over an image of a person and was then able to animate the guy--crazy)

inDesign can export directly to a flash file now with everything coming in as symbols

check out the rest here: Adobe CS4

Sep 23, 08 5:40 pm
grundiger

right when i'm nice and comfortable with CS3, that's when they come out with yet another one.

$#%#$@!

constant evolution is good (sometimes). but pricey.

Sep 24, 08 9:29 am  · 
 · 
med.

Man... Don't I feel out of date. I'm still using CS2.

Sep 24, 08 9:57 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Great. Can't wait. Shell out another fortune for features that I rarely use.

If it solves the crashing/ram issues with Vista I'd upgrade, though. We've lost enough work/time in crashed files in the last 2 months to easily pay for the upgrades.

Sep 24, 08 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

auto scaling and inverse kinematics, skip

Sep 24, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

"content aware scaling" isn't "auto scaling"; it somehow detects critical elements (like a person, or a car door handle) in an image and keeps those elements constant when you scale the entire image. It then drops (or extends) the pixels in between, above or below the objects. This would be very handy for renderings…plus it offloads some functions to the GPU for faster response times of mundane operations like rotating the canvas.

Illustrator also now supports multiple artboards (which inDesign can detect during import).

Adobe upgrade pricing is reasonable (about 1/3 the price of each program) and you can usually wait a few versions before you're no longer eligible; it's not like AutoDesk and their "subscription"…

Sep 24, 08 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

how about old plugins?

Sep 24, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

multiple artboards!! MY GOD!! It is about f*in' time!

Sep 24, 08 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

amen... the workaround for that (multiple art boards) is ridiculous... and makes for even more ridiculously gigantic files.

Sep 24, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: