Archinect
anchor

Should I tell them...

solidsnake

Ok So our firm doesn't own AutoCad, and while this makes it a giant pain in the ass to do work my boss is finally debating about ponying up the cash and purchasing it. I'd be the one and only main user as there are only 3 of us working full time right now.

Here's my dilemma. I'm strongly intent on leaving this firm asap, and I believe I have a new job lined up, but won't find out if its official till 2 more weeks.

Should I tell my boss my intentions, I was going to wait to make sure I have a new job before I did that, but he may make the acad purchase before that happens.

While it is a costly purchase if I don't speak up, and end up leaving do you think it'd be a dick move to just leave knowingly allowing him to buy the software even if I may not be the person who uses it. My biggest worry is that if I tell him before I have this job locked up he may not take it very well. But on the flipside at least he'd have it for the next employee...

thanks!

Sep 23, 08 1:57 pm
e

i would not say anything to your boss that you are leaving until you have your new job. your boss SHOULD be paying for software anyway.

Sep 23, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
solidsnake

let me clarify. We aren't pirating anything, we simply dont have autocad.

We use the truviewer software

Sep 23, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
kanu

I would wait untill you were sure that you were moving on before you told them. its standard to give two weeks notice, dont violate that and dont agree to start somewhere else sooner then two weeks. knowing how to use autocad is not exactly a really valuable skill, someone whos sole responsiblity is to run autocad would not be hard to replace.

Could you just find a free cad program for the time being or suggest he just purchase a light edition?

Sep 23, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, i'd still wait.

Sep 23, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
solidsnake

Thanks Kanu,

Yeah I didn't mean to make it seem like I wasn't going to give him at least two weeks notice. I meant by not telling him I was leaving but allowing him to spend six grand I thought that may be shady since money is a little tight right now

yeah we use cad lt, and a trial version of revit, but its becoming increasingly time consuming to keep on doing this

Sep 23, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

You could stall a little by saying that you want to research other CAD possibilities a bit and maybe he should hold off a few weeks or months.

I agree with others that it's probably not smart to inform them of your job prospects until you have a firm offer.

So your firm has 3 full time people but you're the only one that would be using the new software? If that's the case then is it because you're the main CAD drafter? If so then the firm will presumably need to replace you, in which case it doesn't seem to be a big deal since the next person will use the new software...

Sep 23, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
binary

look into cadopia it's alot cheaper than cad .... and stills works as dwg and has the same layout as cad...

b

Sep 23, 08 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I thought CAD operators were a dime a dozen. Who cares if you leave there are millions of CAD monkeys. I dont see any dilemna

Sep 23, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

tell him to go with ProgeCad smart or something free that is just as capable as autocad if you want to save them the agony of missing you and leave them with fond memories how you saved them a buck.

Sep 23, 08 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Is there any kind of return period on AutoCad software licenses? I mean like, if he gets it, and decides he doesn't want it after you leave, can he return it? I have no idea as I've never bought company software.

Sep 23, 08 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

he can always resell it on ebay

Sep 23, 08 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

right now solid you make it seem like it is all about you. You aren't a director or a named associate, so aside from giving your two weeks notice I would keep it professional. AutoCAD is dead easy to learn and I'm sure the 20 something CAD monkey that replaces you won't have any problem adjusting.

Sep 23, 08 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

not to mention it's dead X)

Sep 23, 08 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hi tumbles!!!! :P

Sep 23, 08 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
solidsnake

architechnophilia I think u took this the wrong way

I was simply trying to save my boss some extra cash if he didn't have to spend it. He's a really nice guy, who doesn't use the program, and is only doing master planning right now...and I don't want to waste his mula!

But thanx for the perpective

Sep 23, 08 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

do you give your boss any signs of your forthcoming resignation before securing a job elsewhere? i think that its not an employee concern as much as it is an employer's. when they hire you, they also hire the prospect of your quitting at a time of your choosing. you don't owe your employee his right to mentally strike you off his mental employee chart until you are ready. your dilemma is in swaying between ethical readiness (now) and practical readiness (in two weeks time). your employer's dilemma, that he might only get to be aware of once he knows you're resigning, is swaying between an assumed predictable reality where all his office operations and agents, you included, are accounted for and a possible reality where his operations might be aborted or his agents quit. the mature employer maintains a healthy awareness of both. in the grander scheme of things, so what if s/he buys the autocad license. you bear no ethical responsibility for his actions. now..if its a personal choice of yours to take on board an ethical responsibility, thats not anyone here can help you decide is a good or bad thing. its just personal.

Sep 24, 08 4:17 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

and if you know that buying the license might aid in a substantial financial impoverishment....well, you would also have to factor in your own possible impoverishment should the job offer fall through and your boss perhaps firing you ..or severely limiting your responsibilities...knowing that he no longer has a dependable 'loyal' employee but one who will cop off as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

Sep 24, 08 4:22 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

if you leave, would he then replace you with someone who is doing what you do now?

if so, then he will be getting autocad no matter what

if he is doing it as basically a perk to you personally, then it might not look great to up and leave right after he bought it for you

i would say chances are, he will be able to hire someone else who can use it

i dont know how much of an ethical question it is, but its a personal choice for you based on your relationship with your boss
being in a small firm like that can build different kinds of relationships with your boss compared to larger firms

having a frank conversation with your boss about how you might be looking to move on isnt necessarily a death sentence for this job either. i assume you will be moving to a firm that has more than 3 people? i also assume that you are early in your career. you dont owe your boss staying longer than is good for you personally

Sep 24, 08 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: