Archinect
anchor

AIA member and/or NY licensed architect for a foreigner

Hi all,
I'm a 35 years old italian architect with 10 years experience in hotel, health care and residential design all over europe....my business is currently quite fine but I'm eager to enhance my international experience and to move and live to NY city...(I know it's a common feeling...)

I realized I meet the majority of the listed requirements when I look at a firm's job position announcement apart when it comes to either the NY license to officially perform the profession or the AIA membership which I obviously miss at the moment..

Questions:
1-which is the process in NY to get licensed;

2-are there some prerequisites apart from an architecture degree and a license to perform in another country ?

3-is there a specific process for foreigners who want to perform the profession in US ?

4-are there official classes?..bibliography...exams simulation to get prepared ?

5-can one prepare or take the exam while he s stil abroad ?

6-how does this license or AIA membership link with the VISA achievement ? (if there is any connection)

thank you anyone for all the infos...
federico

Aug 25, 13 6:38 pm
Jessica Hernandez Lopez

My husband was interested in becoming licensed in NYC a couple of years ago, he was the same age and experience level as you, also licensed back home etc. For us it was out of the question especially because we did not plan on living here in NYC forever. Instead we preferred to get our Master's. This is the link where you can research the whole process depending on your previous degree (depends if your degree is accredited by NAAB the process is longer or shorter): 

http://www.ncarb.org/en/Getting-an-Initial-License/Foreign-Architects.aspx

I absolutely understand your wanting to live and work in NYC it is an amazing experience but if you have a successful practice at home maybe consider a sabbatical, take some classes in NYC, by just living here and attending lectures (most of which are free) you get exposed to the latest information regarding anything and everything. Although this worked for us I have no idea what your situation is... good luck though!

Aug 26, 13 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
Thank you so much Jessica!
Aug 27, 13 3:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: