Archinect
anchor

24-7 COMPUTER ACCESS???

archiTEKE

I have been attending NYIT for the past 4 years w/ 24-7 unlimited access to the computer lab which only had 4 old ratty computers, 1 tempremental plotter, and 1 printer for 200 undergrads. After numerous complants over the 4 years @NYIT finally we recieved 14 brand new computers 1 plotter and 2 printers. New school policy is ther must be a proctor present in the room at all times. WE MUST WORK UNDER SOMEONE ELSES HOURS??? 24-7 UNLIMITED ACCESS IS A MUST! My question is what are policies on computer lab access @ other undergrad universities???

Sep 27, 04 3:02 pm
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

File>Print

Sep 27, 04 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

All public computer labs are open 24-7. Public labs=any student can access. The architecture lab is public, but very few people know about it outside architecture and people doing advanced visualization.

The only thing is that if computers break or printers die there are not 24 hour IT people.

Sep 27, 04 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Ormolu

When I was an undergrad I went to a school whose buildings were not open 24 hours. The usual hours were 7am - midnight on weekdays and 8am - 7pm on weekends. The computers were available (without staff supervision) whenever the buildings were open, but there were sign-up sheets for them and they were frequently booked.

The college at which I'm currently teaching has a similar situation. There is additionally some requirement that the students take a brief computer seminar prior to being issued a password to school computers - most of which seems to be about piracy issues, though some addresses technical concerns/troubleshooting.
It appears to me that most (90%+) of the students have their own laptops that they cart around with them everywhere.

As a grad student our building and computer labs were open 24 hours. The computer lab itself required key-card access, and there were a lot of computers in the studios.

Sep 27, 04 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

QUICK QUESTION?...are any computers or other equipment stolen from the labs or studio's

Sep 27, 04 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
Ormolu

As far as I'm aware the only equipment that's been stolen where I teach has been several mice and one software dongle. The latter is a fairly expensive issue and has made the department consider requiring students to purchases their own software licenses and always bring the toggles/dongles/keys/serials with them.
While univeristy libraries seem to have more and more computers all the time, I've noticed the opposite in architecture school labs. More and more the assumption seems to be that students will provide their own computers and software and that the labs should mainly be providing specialty equipment, plotters/large scale printing, etc.

Sep 27, 04 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
batiment

We have two large computer labs, with about 100 computers, that are open 24/7. There are proctors working normal business hours, and later during deadlines. Printing is on a quota basis, and a proctor must be there to add to your quota once it has been depleted. We have access to three printers (2 color), and two plotters; though a proctor must be there to plot.

Our building, probably like most others, is only accessed after hours by swiping our student id at the door. Despite numerous video cameras throughout the building, we have had some very valuable video editing hardware stolen (and recovered, I believe). Luckily, none of the polocies were affected by this.

Sep 27, 04 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Pete Dawson

I am wondering which institutions everyone is refering to in their posts

Sep 27, 04 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

We had a 1 of several 42" Plasma Stolen from our lab and put on EBAY. The got it back. Guy dressed up as a reapair man and walked out with it.

Sep 27, 04 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

Do schools actually expect poor college students to buy an offical autocad program? That's rediculus dont they cost about $10,000?
I think I have a problem with committing a crime every time I plot something out with the pirated version of autocad--i dont know 1 student that has actually went out and bought a real version of autocad. do you???

Sep 27, 04 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

2 labs with a total of 60 computers
monday- thursday 7-12 friday 8-6 sat 1-6 sun 1-12
2 hp 1055 plotters one glossy one bond
3 750's one bond, one coated bond, one vellum
1 hp laser 850
1 color phaser
1 color laser
prints used to be free but not anymore. a color 8.5 x 11 is 1 dollar plots are charged by the square foot and vary depending on paper and plotter 24 x 36 bond is 2 bucks 24x36 glossy is about 9 bucks

more expensive than free but hella less than kinkos

What I really wish we had was a full size 3' roll scanner

Sep 27, 04 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

ArchiTEKE: there are student licenses for most software that are a LOT less than a professional license. For instance, if you buy a 1-year student license of FormZ with Radiosity directly through your school it costs about $75, whereas the professional version is in the $2000 range. There's no difference in the features - the only problem is that it expires after a year and you'd have to pay a new fee to extend it.

There are some schools that offer (or in some cases require) students package deals of software. For instance, RISD has a mandatory laptop policy, with a couple different choices of software packages. Most students have PhotoShop, Illustrator, In-Design, Microsoft Office, and then various program-specific software too (like FormZ or AutoCAD or Vellum or whatever) depending on their major. The cost of the laptop (if purchased through the school) plus the software is in the thousands of dollars. But then they have the computer and most of the software for keeps (some of the software has to be re-purchased, as described with FormZ.)

Sep 27, 04 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Also, ArchiTEKE: AutoCAD doesn't cost nearly $10,000. Even a professional version of Architectural Desktop is $4600. AutoCAD LT is about $800. A 1-year student license is a few hundred dollars.

Sep 27, 04 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
NSJ

Graduate Lab open from 9am to 12pm and until 2am during crunch times. There is a student revolt afoot to change to a swipe card, 24 hours access policy (the building is open 24 hours with a guard at the front door). We have about 40 computers, 2 BW printers available at all times, and various color printers and plotters that are operated only by the harried work study kids in the plotting room. All printing is free. 95% of students have laptops with software provided at their own "expense".

Sep 27, 04 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Kai

u of minnesota, 25 new fast comps, available 24/7

Oct 6, 04 10:32 am  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

I go to FIT, interiors major, but the computer reqs are pretty much the same as the arch majors... however, our lab hours are a suckfest.

There is one classroom with about 20 p.c.'s in it, these are the only 20 with autocad and formz on them in the school. The lab is open about 3 hours on Mondays, 5 on Tuesdays, 6 on Wednesdays, 6 on Thursdays, and 9 on Fridays. It's open 9 hours on Sat and Sun also. No plotters. 1 printer. No proctors and everything is bolted down.

Lame. It's a nightmare when finals roll around.

Oct 6, 04 11:10 am  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

what happened to technology in FIT, and NYIT????

Oct 7, 04 11:08 am  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

archiTEKE-

Oh, you didn't get the memo? The T now stands for Tribulations.

On a side note... how is NYIT? Every couple of months I start batting around the idea of transferring into an arch program for undergrad instead of pursuing an MArch1. Would you recommend the program... any major pros or cons? Thanks.

Oct 7, 04 11:33 am  · 
 · 
hoodlam

at drury university we had 10 or so computers in each studio out in the open so access was 24/7. In the extremely rare instance that those were all occupied, then the schools computer lab was open 24/7 as well with another 40 or 50 computers

Oct 7, 04 11:34 am  · 
 · 
sahar

archiTEKE,

An answer to this question.

QUICK QUESTION?...are any computers or other equipment stolen from the labs or studio's

I am not sure how your studios are laid out at your school, but in ours each studio had a classroom that locked. Each student in the studio had a key to this classroom. It was basically up to the last person in the studio to lock it up. Even if people did lock the studio, things would go missing because they would bet permanently borrowed by studio mates. I say label all your tools, and if you don't like to hunt for your stuff on other people's desks put them in some sort of container that you can lock up.

About computers, I don't think anyone in my small school would have ran off with another student's computer, but the building is open 24 hours, and there are always drunken students on campus who think it is funny to harass people who have to work late or vandalize things. A couple of public spaces got vandalized in our school, but no major thefts. I think it is because there are always people in the building and thieves would prefer an emptier target. It is good to invest in a computer lock for your laptop or desktop and if you are super worried, take home your laptop when you leave studio.

Oct 7, 04 11:53 am  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

design geek girl nyit is a excellent school to get an undergrad diploma from but the only problem is that there are 3 different campus's. all of which have an architecture program. though manhatten is the only one with out a 5 year bach program - all campus's are up for acreditation this year--manhatten should get it. - central islip where i attend is about to close down which probaly has the most educated faculty--and as for the old westbury campus it may look nice and pretty but the teachers much like the town that surrounds it are aroagant assh@!&$. westbury is the main campus w/out dorms and probobly will never build them!

Oct 20, 04 9:58 am  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

Thanks for the info, ArchiTeke... I didn't realize the Manhattan campus didn't offer a 5 yr BArch.

Oct 20, 04 10:36 am  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

THEY SHOULD BY JAN05-OR-SEPT05 --MAHATTAN IS PROBOBLY YOUR BEST BET TO GET A DEGREE NEWLY RENOVATED STUDIO'S NEW COMPUTERS AND NEW DORMS BUT RATHER EXPENSIVE. ALSO ONCE THE CENTRAL ISLIP CAMPUS CLOSES I THINK OUR FACULTIY WILL TEACH @ THE MANHATTAN CAMPUS------THE NEXT MIT, OR COLUMBIA-----POSSIBLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALSO ONCE ACREDITED NEW AND IMPROVED COURSES WILL BE OFFERED! GOOD LUCK

Oct 20, 04 10:53 am  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

SAHAR YES A BRAND NEW DELL COMP. AND FLAT SCREEN MONITOR WERE STOLEN OVER THIS PAST SUMMER-AND A SCANNER WAS STOLEN EARLY LAST YEAR

Oct 20, 04 10:56 am  · 
 · 
RoBBie

archiTEKe......it is awesome to see somebody finally standing up for nYiT.....But you got your info wrong...I am a four year student at Old Westbury , which in a year will have a 5yr Barch. Not only does old westbury offer it but manhattan as well....and if I am not mistaken so does CI. NYIT is not only a good undergrad degree....but mark my words....we got a couple of kids that r going to start a revolution....put NYIT on the map. Design Like you Give a Damn

Oct 20, 04 11:07 am  · 
 · 
A

Back when I was in college we were one of the first classes to have our own "high tech" lab as it was referred to. 24/7 access via card scanner so that only studio students were allowed access.

To my knowledge nothing ever went missing. There was a 2x CD-R that was a very prized peice of equipment that was locked down to the table but everything else was just set out on the desks. I think in general architecture students can be trusted. While in college the problem in other labs I continually heard of was people stealing the balls out of the mice.

Oct 20, 04 11:13 am  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

JOHNNY WALKER YOU WERE RIGHT I JUST CHECKED--MAHATTAN JUST GOT ACREDITED RECENTLY SORRY FOR THE MIX-UP DESIGN GEEK GIRL. JOHNNY SOO I TAKE IT THAT YOU ARE IN THE DESIGN 5 CLASS IN WESTBURY(I AM)(IN CI)-WHAT DO YOU THINK SO FAR? BY THE WAY - I DO DESIGN LIKE I GIVE A DAMN---ARCH. SEEMS TO BE MY LIFE!
ME AND THE FEW ELITE HERE AT THE CI CAMPUS ARE READY FOR A REVOLUTION! NOW!

Oct 20, 04 11:37 am  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

Oh, no worries... I have to say, it is refreshing to see you guys talking about putting your school on the map. Someone has to start the prestigious alumni list. Better to lead than follow.

Viva la revolucion... ha.
sorry... I'm a dork.

Oct 20, 04 11:56 am  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

THANX FOR CHEERING US ON!!!WE ARE ALL DORKS!!!!!

Oct 20, 04 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
RoBBie

Lets take it to the top architeke....The project is amazing the rebirth of a industrial waterfront, who could ask for more...We are starting off strong but, the man is trying to hold us down....persuasion is a bitch

Oct 20, 04 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

does it seem like we are moving pretty slow -do they know what the program is yet? i think i know what i want but seems like the administration does not! are you putting landuse, transportation, greenspace, and landmarks on one maps or spliting them up? our professor wants them on one map seems very difficult. to read and getting a computer to process all of the information. well going to he studio to crank out some more sh!* ---- later -- let me know so i can stop battling this situation!!!

Oct 20, 04 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
RoBBie

Well that is hard to answer...My team and I mostly work in conceptual drawings so there is a compellation of land use, transportation, ect....I don’t think that you should wait for the RPA to design to program for you....go balls out, being, decisive is the key...but some might say that less is more....so individual diagrams highlighting each of these certain conditions is always effective. How is your prof? Did you guys have any design critiques yet?

Oct 20, 04 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

believe it or not this is our profssors first class she has ever tought. we had a crit for the analysis of the waterfront city-a crit for the analysis of a specific area (redhook) - and a crit for a conceptual design of our groups specific area (redhook) ...while still working as a class to form a single map--i feel that we should hae broken down into our groups to do this map b/c i dont like to wait for other people to do work...i know that my group would get it done faster so that we could think more about our about our urban design of pier 6-12 and the surrounding area- BALLS DEEP as a friend of mine might say!

Oct 21, 04 9:05 am  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

anyways the real point of this thread was to find out what computer labs @other schools are like...have you been to CI?...ive been to westbury a bunch of times to plot shit out-but they never let us go into the room at the end of the hallway in ed hall that has all the flat screens and nice desks...students in the classroom say that its only for the one group that has class in there...do you have class in there...i have to go to westbury tonite to plot this map in color mabee you could get me in there.(or equal color ploter)that would be clutch!!!!!thanx

Oct 21, 04 9:12 am  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

ANYWAYS AFTER STARTING THIS THREAD 3 WEEKS AGO MY COLLEGE HAS MADE THE DESICION TO CLOSE DOWN THE CENTRAL ISLIP CAMPUS --- GUESS IM ASSED OUT NOW!!! TO MANHATTAN I GO!

Nov 4, 04 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Protofront

Im a 1st year UG at the CI campus. And Im loving it. The move won't affect me since im going to be moving to the city in september anyways. But I agree with you about the Computer labs. My studio professor wants our portfolios after each major project. Since the labs are proctered by volunteers they are very unreliable twice they didnt show on some of the hours specified. I had to scan all my crap in the library. which kinda sucked(my portfolio came out great though). The computers in the lab look kinda old, but they seemed to run fast. I think closing CI would be good as more money can be pumped into either of the other two campuses. Im glad some nyit people are on here since before I started searched for info on the school here and found very little but what little I found was encouraging.This school seems to have crazy talented students and its only a matter of time befor it explodes thanks to the revolution. The stuff Ive learned in a short amount of time amazes me sometimes.

Nov 5, 04 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: