Archinect
anchor

Career Decision Questions for Architects

passerby1ce

Just thought I'd ask a few questions for the architects or graduates of architecture, to get a complete picture of what it's really like.

I've read through pages of the threads but would like the info to be compiled in one place. I've also read "Architect?" and am pretty well informed of the downfalls, but would like to hear from the horse's mouth so to speak.

1) What do you find to be the worst and best things about your career?

2) Can you think of anything I should know about this field that is unlikely to find it's way into print?

3) Can you think of anything you know now that you wish you'd known when you were deciding ot enter this field?

4) Anybody have regrets entering the field? If so what would you have done instead?

5) How'd you get into this career?

I'm not really afraid of the downfalls that I've read in the "Architect?" book since I'm not in it to get famous or be extremely rich. I'm more afraid of being a working stiff where it's all work no play. I'm interested in a wide variety of subjects like woodworking, travel, painting, outdoor activities like hiking and climbing, and would like the time to be able to do those things.

Sep 20, 08 12:44 pm
Apurimac

There will definitely be time to do those things, just stay the hell out of New York City.

Sep 20, 08 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Consider doing more research; Becoming an Architect: A Guide to Careers in Design includes interviews with almost 50 students, interns, and architects.

You make being an architect what you want to be -- the profession of architect has the highest career satisfaction of any occupation. Over 90% of architects would choose to be an architect again.

Try NOT to think architect, but rather design.

Dr. Architect
ARCHCareers.org

Sep 20, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
passerby1ce

I think I remember reading that book Becoming an Architect during my undergrad years. Maybe I'll re-read it again. I didn't know what to do back then, and I still don't know today, but I'm more prepared to settle down to a career now that I've crossed that quarter life mark and am now 26. Well ready to go to grad school anyways. Now just the decision on which Masters I should take.

Thanks for the help. The thing that does attract me to go into Architecture is it's multi-disciplinary education. I'm kind of a jack of all trades and love to learn many different things from psychology/philosophy to carpentry and flying. I guess I just a want a job that will provide money and time to supplement my hobbies/interests.

Sep 20, 08 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Sometimes the best approach is to "do what you love." In other words, determine what you love doing and find someone to pay you to do it.

Also, do not think in terms of a job, but a career. Rather than finding a job that allows time to pursue your hobbies/interests, why not secure a career that involves your interests.

Another excellent book to read/do is What Color is your Parachute by Richard Bolles. It focuses on helping you identify your ideal career. It is not over night process.

In the interim, simply find a position that lets you test your interests and skills.

Finally, you state you are ready to pursue a graduate degree, but why begin if you are not sure of the actual subject. Do more soul-searching.

Feel free to email me directly via Dr. Architecture on the ARCHCareers.org website.

Best.

Sep 21, 08 6:28 am  · 
 · 
trace™

"I guess I just a want a job that will provide money and time to supplement my hobbies/interests"

as long as you realize that things will not happen in that order. Architecture will consume the vast majority of your life and be almost everything while in school.

As I'll always say "if you ain't 100% you want to be an architect, then it ain't for you". I am 100% sure, have been since an early teen, and it still was not the profession for me (not enough time or money).

I'd suggest:
Graphic design
Environmental design
Web design (possibly with some programming)
Motion graphics

All those should be less time consuming and at least paying as well (but the increase in pay will come much faster than in arch, with much less education)

Sep 21, 08 9:29 am  · 
 · 
passerby1ce

What did you end up doing trace?

Sep 21, 08 10:17 am  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

I think that this profession challenges a person's ability and character more than most, and I'd agree it is very rewarding. There is so much at grad school and in the early years of an architect's career that is overwhelming, and it does put some very bright, talented people off after a while. It's a hard road to being / feeling like a competent, architect who is fulfilling their potential, but it's great when you're there.

Oh, and the hours really can be horrendous. Be prepared for many deadline crunches and late nights...

Sep 24, 08 12:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: