Archinect
anchor

Pixelated graphics: XP, parallels or Rhino problem?

abstraktura

I'm currently running windows XP through parallels on my macbook and when I try to begin tracing a bitmap in rhino, the image is too pixelated to be able to read the drawings. I've played with the screen resolution sizes, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. Any ideas one what I should try to resolve this problem?? Thank you in advance!

Sep 18, 08 4:24 pm
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

perhaps the image size is too small, as in its not that it gets pixelated, but that you're looking at its actual pixel info when you zoom in. bump up its resolution in photoshop or find a better quality image.

Sep 18, 08 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i would say use bootcamp

the amount of video card parallels limits you to is the problem i think

because when i look to the openGL settings in rhino it tells me what the max resolution of textures i can use are. (note the video card in this screen shot is sub-par but sufficient) at home i have 4000x4000

Sep 18, 08 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
abstraktura

I have a feeling that it may be parallels as well, but I wasn't sure how to adjust the problem. I heard that it was possible to run bootcamp through parallels? is that a possible solution, before I do decide to uninstall parallels? or I suppose I will try installing bootcamp before I uninstall parallels...I shall report back on how that goes!

and I am positive it isn't the resolution of the photos :) the image is fine when using other computers.

Sep 18, 08 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
chad_c

I'm not sure that your problem is related to a video card, but if it is bootcamp will definitely get better results.

As far as I know, neither parallels nor VM-ware offer a robust enough hardware acceleration solution to get reliable or good performance using 3d programs. Bootcamp isn't really software as much as it is a way of letting windows boot directly. A google search for "parallels opengl" yields lots of people complaining about various video card problems.

Sep 18, 08 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Mission St.

rhino will only display bitmaps up to a certain resolution, think it's 2048x2048. or maybe 4096x4096. actually, looks like it depends on your video card:
http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/BackgroundBitmap.html

maybe try using PictureFrame instead, dunno if you'll get higher resolution, but you might:
http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/PictureFrames.html

pretty much any question you can think of is answered somewhere in the rhino support pages. and if it isn't there you can post questions to the rhino newsgroup and expect a useful reply the same day (if not within minutes).

and... (i can't stop!) why not try the rhino for osx beta? http://community.irhino3d.com/

Sep 19, 08 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
abstraktura

Sounds good! I will look at those links this weekend! I haven't had a chance to install bootcamp yet...but now that it's the weekend, I will have some more time to see what could possibly be the problem. Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

Sep 19, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: