Archinect
anchor

Fins - Morphosis

Jayness

Anyone know about the exterior fins Morphosis employs on the San Fran Federal building. Are they heat absorbent, reflective, etc...?
They are pretty substantial pieces of Glass

Sep 17, 08 6:26 pm
rethinkit

I walk by it every day - http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/03/san_francisco_f_1.php

Sep 19, 08 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
The north side has its own sunshade system, vertical milky-glass fins angled to protect occupants from late-afternoon summer sun.

cool!

Sep 19, 08 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Tempered and safety coated? or just tempered? What's the code on that?

Sep 19, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Jayness

Could be a laminate glass. From the images I've scene the glass looks like it has a rough, Matte finish. The problem I'm dealing with is whether the Glass reflects light back into the building as well as away from the building?

Sep 19, 08 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

yes it reflects some light back into the building - the translucent glass fins would diffuse the light but you won't have direct late afternoon sun (reducing heat gain).

Sep 19, 08 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Usually it would be both tempered and laminated as it poses a danger. I don't know the exact citation why but I 'd be interested to find out. I don't remember what SF did for a building code. I haven't been back since I left in 2001.

Sep 19, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: