Archinect
anchor

for my cali folks..l.a.or s.f.

binary

i'm reviewing/looking for firms to send my resume/samples/etc to and i know alot of times firms dont post for job postions. sometimes it a word of mouth thing to find the in's and out's for employment

i have sent to a few firms out there and just waiting on a reply. i'll follow up.

my simple request would to let me know if your firm is hiring on the down low. i would like to review their website and then send out my items.

hopefully i can strike a deal.....do a phone interview.... then be out of detroit

looking at jumping on a plane asap...i'll come back and get my gear later....

you can email if needed cryzko(at)hotmail(dot)com

Sep 17, 08 6:08 pm
MArch n' unemployed

good luck cryzko, i moved from sf to la and have found it difficult to find anything. im tired of watching cnn

Sep 17, 08 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
binary

trying to do something...... really need to find a firm and work there and get my IDP asap..and design some buildings...and detail some interiors.....thats the goal..... and get a sun tan and maybe lose about 20-35 pounds.

Sep 17, 08 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

my friends in SF are having a hard time finding jobs...LA may be a lot easier. Larger firms are laying off people in small numbers though so may want to avoid them.

Sep 17, 08 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
complex

sf is a great city with an awesome nightlife. in architecture though, los angeles is a better choice for finding a job and it is convenient that housing is cheaper than sf.

Sep 18, 08 12:32 am  · 
 · 
Stasis

Can someone tell me how's job availability for almost entry-level (8months) in LA? I have been laid off in SF and can't really find any job at my level..

Sep 18, 08 4:47 am  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

cryzko, I wish I could tell you about who's hiring in LA (other than the long list on the jobs link), but I'm not out there any more. However, I was thinking, based on browsing some of your other posts, that you should consider Marmol Radziner or other design-build shops. Marmol has a fabrication shop where you could use your current talents while you learn more of what it is that might make you marketable to get back into the architecture side of things (which you may never do once you realize that route isn't so glamorous)... At a firm in Boston I worked in, we had a guycretary who majored in business but was interested in architecture. He started taking classes at the BAC, kept pushing to get on some architecture projects and ultimately moved into that roll while still just beginning his education. At Marmol (or others) you could start out in fabrication (putting your strongest skills first) and later shift into the other side (as you learn the necessary shite)... See also Truck in NYC www.the-truck.com (Rogers Marvel Architects), Anderson Anderson in SF/Seattle www.andersonanderson.com, and El Dorado in Kansas City www.eldoradoarchitects.com I'm sure others can recommend more.

Sep 18, 08 9:31 am  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

just tim-

not the greatest design firm in the world, but i have a friend who works at HOK in SF and he says they are understaffed

Sep 18, 08 10:26 am  · 
 · 
nb072

well assuming one can get a job anywhere, i would pick LA if you can deal with:
-needing a car
-potentially vapid wannabe-hollywood types

it's bigger so it has a ton more going on. the architecture scene is way more interesting. the weather is better. to me, sf just feels so old and small. maybe i was hanging out in the wrong corners of it.

Sep 18, 08 10:41 am  · 
 · 
binary

sixer... i did contact MR but they are not hiring at the moment...

i'll checkout those other links too....

thanks

b

Sep 18, 08 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

Thank You MArch06, I'll give it shot.
Though i find architecture isn't exciting with SF, I just have to get a job around here for the time being.

Sep 18, 08 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Geoff Manaugh

LA is a thousand times more interesting than SF, and up to 15-20% cheaper for rent (unless you live in the East Bay), and the city seems to have an increasingly real interest in urban issues for the future (whereas SF seems to prove that well-intended architectural legislation + a Ken doll mayor + glitzy press conferences = the way to ensure that you never have to actually do anything, but everyone will still talk about you). The difference in cost of living is not a small issue, though, as any salary that you're offered in Los Angeles will immediately be 15-20% more than the same salary would be in San Francisco. In other words, $45,000 in Los Angeles can be like $53,000+ in San Francisco (granted there's the car/gas/insurance issue of living in LA - but public transport in SF is not nearly as good as it's made out to be).

Also, LA might be full of vapid Hollywood wannabes - but that's only a might (after all, LA is absolutely gigantic, and you're much more likely to find people who wait tables or raise kids or study geology at Caltech than people who line up outside for sitcom try-outs every weekend). Some of the most genuine and self-deprecating people I've ever met live in LA, whereas some of the most arrogant, attention-seeking, small-minded, and self-obsessed people I know congregate in SF at potluck dinners together, all dressing like each other and listening to the same music.

In any case, I would live in LA. I think the long-term prospects are more exciting there, it's cheaper, there is actually much more going on there provided you take the time to find it, it's a thousand times weirder, and there's more vitamin D available for free from the sun in the sky. Oh, and it's immensely easy to get out of the sprawl for a quick hike in Griffith Park or the Hollywood Hills or Topanga Canyon - or even Joshua Tree, if you have a day to kill - and you can go for an hour and a half without seeing another human being. Also, LA's got SCI-Arc, UCLA, USC, Woodbury, Caltech, the Art Center in Pasadena, and all the set designers and film production assistants of Hollywood - so there are cool ideas by the dozen down there. SF has, what, one or two interesting professors at the CCA and a few cool people over at Berkeley? It's like an intellectual desert up here.

I would move to LA.

Sep 18, 08 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

"some of the most arrogant, attention-seeking, small-minded, and self-obsessed people I know congregate in SF at potluck dinners together, all dressing like each other and listening to the same music."

what's the deal with people doing this? All the people I graduated from college with that moved to NY to chase the dream do this too.

Sep 18, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Geoff Manaugh

Let me add rather quickly, though, that I also have very close friends who throw potluck dinners and so on - so this isn't a blanket condemnation! Apologies if this casts too wide a net.

Sep 18, 08 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

A year ago, I could not get a job in San Diego, or L.A. - So I work at a large Firm in SF. If you know BIM(Revit) SF is the city

Sep 18, 08 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wow, Geoff - that's some pretty serious criticism from one whose opinion I trust.

But wait...you also hated Philly, right? So yeah, I'd probably love SF! ;-)

Seriously, it's interesting to hear your comments re: urban thinking in the two cities. Being in a city that thinks urban ideas from 40 years ago are still cutting edge and bold, it's be nice to be in a town, like LA, that seems ready to remake itself urbanistically. SF has always had that very urban downtown, hemmed in by topography and water, so maybe hasn't needed to think far beyond those limits. Although Portland has a very similar physical setting, but has been forward-thinking about its entire region urbanistically for decades now.

Sep 18, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
binary

no revit for me.....

cad/sharpie/photoshop/power tools thats really it

Sep 18, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

...oops, my "it'sbe nice to be..." should read "it would be nice to be...."

Sorry for the threadjack, cryz.

Sep 18, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

wow, I think I have a massive man-crush on El Dorado Architects

Sep 18, 08 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
binary

yeah.... only thing is they work on macs i believe....

i sent them an email so we'll see....

good to see firms build though....adds that extra push in really making things happen.....

Sep 18, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

I work on macs! lemme know if they say their hiring, I've been debating getting out of New England for a change of scenery.

Sep 18, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i just went through their bio/etc.... they have a good sense of humor there.... sounds like a cool place to work...... you should talk to them....

and i'm looking for a change of scenery....burned down houses/fires/sulfur in the air is getting old

Sep 18, 08 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

how much digifab experience do you have? Carnegie Mellon recently posted for someone to run their new digifab shop here.

Sep 18, 08 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i dont know much about 3-d printing/etc

i have setup cnc sheets/laser sheets.... but that's all 2/3 axis stuff....

b

Sep 18, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

the 3D priting stuff is pretty easy man, its the 2.5/3 axis milling that'll help you out. give it a shot, never hurts to try.

Sep 18, 08 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

You've probably already done this, but don't forget to tap into alumni resources from your school as well connect with old professors. If you were at all friendly with them, I'm sure if you explain your situation, they'd be willing to help (just like a grad-school reference...).

Sep 18, 08 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
binary

pix, .... you run cad-cam or some other 3 axis program... i havent been able to get my hands on any operating programs for the cncs.... i just setup the cut sheets then the shop guy would "program" the runs.... i'm sure it's easy anyways....

if my vette would sell, i would get me a laser machine and prolly a little 3d printer....... but the vette isnt going anywhere...

b

Sep 18, 08 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

I've used RhinoCAM to generate gcode and found it to be a pretty painless and self-explanatory process. I'm sure you could pick it up after playing with it for a day.

Sep 18, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
binary

yeah.... maybe i'll see if i can acquire that program somehow around here.....

can it run more than 3axis?.... or is it more for sheets?

b

Sep 18, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

I only used it/saw it used for 3-axis machines and for some reason don't believe they have support 5+ axis in the current version but are working on it.

Sep 18, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: