Archinect
anchor

Is it possible to work and study MArch simultaneously ?

Julianas

Hi to all,

I want to study architecture, although I have finished law and I have worked as a lawyer many years. I reached the top of that career but I have never wanted to be a lawyer. I have always wanted to study architecture. The thing is that I need to work for my financial stability and to pursue this studies , because the idea of architecture is so alive in me, and this is what I ave always wanted to do. A few months ago, I had idea of a futuristic building , I could see the whole building in my head, and this is not first nor last time.

Can anyone help me with the information about the studies MArch with enough free time to work , at least part time, or some days in a week? And where is that master program?

thank you,

Aug 22, 13 1:58 pm
s=r*(theta)

OF COURSE!!!! I have 3 children, and worked a min of 30 hours a week. you can do it if you buckle down.

Aug 22, 13 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
observant

So, you want to transition from law to architecture?  The first question I have is whether they had to take the pencil out of your hand to stop drawing buildings and things which involved applied design when you were a kid.  At any rate, get various practitioners in the field to assess your design abilities through tangible work.

I can't name a master's program for you, but it wouldn't be the top ranked ones.  They want you to move through full time, and in lockstep with your class.  If you work, I don't think the time commitment necessary for 16 to 18 credits of graduate work in architecture is there.  That's my opinion.  The programs for you would be decent ones which are in an urban areas.  I'd suggest you go full-time the first year, and then maybe spread out the remaining 2+ years over 3 to 4.  I am assuming you plan to work in law while you are doing this, since that's your skill base.

Your OP has a very optimistic and idealistic vibe about it.  Please make sure that you have the "rubber meets the road" aptitude for design before embarking on this, for better results.  Also, understand that the more non-traditional you are in such a curriculum, the less comfortable it will be, unless you are endowed with such a free spirit and sense of purpose that you can tune that out.

Aug 22, 13 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Wow!

Those first 2 responses couldn't disagree more with one another.  Of course, both have some truth to them...

Aug 22, 13 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

skip architecture and go into Real Estate Development. Work with architects and or control them and hopefully make more money or loose more and start again... You have more control over the project anyway when you control the $$$. Architects are now almost underpaid over educated yes men to those with the cash. Although there are great design jobs out in the world but mostly everyone is smart and talented so competition is tough!

Aug 22, 13 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
Median

In short yes, but probably not in the better schools.

Aug 22, 13 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Unless you were typing the OP on an iPad or a smartphone, I don't understand the following:  For a lawyer, who is as detailed as an architect (but about words) and who says you had "reached the top" of your profession, you had an awful amount of spelling and grammar mistakes... Its not about the spelling/grammar mistakes themselves per se, but rather the fact that regardless of how unimportant the OP is to you in the grand scheme of things, it is your standards of quality that I question and how those standards (or lack thereof) will manifest themselves in your academic work, ESPECIALLY if you are working while studying. Architecture school is not just about talent; it is about understanding and refining standards of quality in terms of design, presentation, and most importantly- craft. 

Aug 22, 13 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

By-the-way: habla espanol?

Aug 22, 13 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
observant

In short yes, but probably not in the better schools.

+ 1

What I said, but in a different way.  I would also spring it on them after a full-time first year, when you're already there and it shows that you are doing the work.  Even then, a semester load can shift from 15 to 17 credits down to 9 to 12 credits, and not much less than that.  Most likely, they'll want studio work to remain in synch with your class, and maybe the final project/thesis to come at the end your enrollment.  Other courses can shift, but there is also a sequence for the technological ones.

Aug 22, 13 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

look into this 

the program seems to have a decent amount of credibility

Aug 22, 13 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

^ Percentage of college professors teaching online courses who do not believe students should receive credit for them : 72 (Harper's, July 2013)

I can't imagine holding a job while in grad school.  Expect 80 hour work weeks, at a minimum. 

Aug 23, 13 12:31 am  · 
 · 
siesta

I just finished Berkeley's six-week summer architecture program, which I was told is a good representation of the time commitment of an M.Arch program, and I concurrently worked 5-10 hours per week. It was extremely difficult--after getting a small amount of sleep, going in to the office to deal with an urgent issue was very stressful, and was distracting on both ends. I therefore do not plan to work when I go to grad school.

Aug 23, 13 1:56 am  · 
 · 
citizen

I agree w/ Siesta.  The problem is more than just time.  It's mental distraction, too.  When at school, you worry about that thing at work.  When at the office, you can't focus because you know all the work waiting for you in studio.

Can it be done?  Yes.  But we also have the ability to remove our own appendix with a rusty can opener... and we choose not to.

Aug 23, 13 11:50 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Why don't you save up before you go to into and M.Arch program so you don't have to worry about working allowing you to focus exclusively on studio and classes.

Aug 23, 13 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I worked at a Video game studio as a Maya 3D modeler while attending an M.Arch program - it's doable, I did it - I don't recommend it though - you should devote yourself to architecture 100% - that is if you want to be an architect and not someone who works for one.

Aug 23, 13 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: