Archinect
anchor

Dissertation Topic

ACP1

Hey folks!

Im new to the forum and im in the middle of sorting my dissertation. Was wondering if people can give me some feedback on the following topics and any additional ideas you mighthave.

Thanks,

ACP1

1. Sky Cities; Is building up starting to dig a hole? An investigation into the pro's and cons of developers creating sky cities

2. The social and economic change following the hosting of a major sporting event: Glasgow 2014

3. Does "sexxing up" building design cause lack of focus in whats required from the sturcture?

4. Has pre-fab construction forced traditional tradesmen to re-think their careers?

Aug 22, 13 2:00 pm
BulgarBlogger

For topic one: look into space branding - "Brandscapes,"Dr. Anna Klingmann.

Topic Two: Its more about the effect of the infusion of tourist capital and how that affects the local economy... A little too broad of a topic since sports events happen around the world all the time... I would be more interested in the informal setting at which locals watch the game(s)... Like a local bar/cafe and how that affects the feel of the neighborhood. 

Topic Three: Look into the relationship of Fashion and Architecture... Thom Mayne and Morphosis talks about how clothing, depending on how its designed rests on the human body. What kind of structure are you talking about? Also look at Zaha Hadid's early works... In Search of Organic Form, and most recently- Schumacher's theory of Parametricism...

Topic Four: Phenomenology

Aug 22, 13 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Uhhh.... maybe I'm missing something here, but what does Phenomenology have to do with the effects of pre-fab construction on the careers of the trades?

Aug 22, 13 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Artisans, I think, believe materials evoke a response from the end-user... phenomenology as it pertains to architecture, is about the sensory properties of materials... pre-fab construction is mechanical and mass-produced, while something more custom is more geared toward a unique experience...  

Aug 23, 13 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Well said. In that vain though, would it not be a more relevant topic to explore how the trade informs the master builder role in phenomenological architecture, rather than the effect it would have on the trades' career? (I only jest because I'm exploring dissertation subjects related to Phenomenology for my thesis next year).

Aug 23, 13 10:22 am  · 
 · 
ACP1

Amazing, thanks very much for the help. Will definitely be looking further into the suggestions youve made. Thanks too for the brandscapes info, i think topic one is going to be my main focus. Maybe i will incorporate the "sexxing up" and clothing debate within this topic

Aug 26, 13 7:09 am  · 
 · 
monterey

RE topic 3: gottfried semper ideas on arch. and clothing and mark wrigley's white walls book.

Aug 31, 13 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
drewjmcnamara
I think the phenomenology suggestion is a reach.

You should combine all those topics. Inch-wide, mile deep.
Sep 1, 13 7:43 am  · 
 · 
ACP1

Combine them all? Any suggestions of a title??

Sep 2, 13 10:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: