Archinect
anchor

Lenovo T61 vs Gateway M-6862; another laptop thread, FLAME IT UP!

vyan

Hey guys! I did a search already and a lot of people said Lenovos/IBM were good quality. Unfortunately, people here have recommended a model that is no longer being produced, the T61p.
They only have T61 now.

My question is, which one is better

Lenovo T61
Intel Core 2 Duo processor T8100 (2.1GHz 800MHz 3MBL2)
15.4 WXGA TFT
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M (128MB)
1 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)

Gateway M-6862
Intel� Core(TM)2 Duo Mobile 2.0GHZ
ATI Mobility RADEON HD 2600 512mb DDR3
15.4 WXGA
4GB PC2-5300 DDR2

Also, don't worry about the RAM of the Lenovo, 1 GB is low I know that but it is EASILY upgradable. The main concern is, is the lenovo video card good enough since its only 128mB?

I use rhino, v-ray, maxwell, photoshop, illustrator, and autocad.

Sep 17, 08 3:22 am
MyArchitect

I am afraid NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M is not good for 3D application

Sep 17, 08 9:36 am  · 
 · 
harold

Go for the HP compaq 8710W.

Intel core 2 duo 2.6 GHZ
Nvidia Quadro 3600 (512mb) (ISV certifications)
8GB memory

The price is the same as a macbook pro. The only thing it doesn't have is a built-in webcam which could be a dealbreaker for some.

Sep 17, 08 11:10 am  · 
 · 
vyan

HAROLD: I would go HP but they are quite expensive. Anything that exceeds $1000 I'd rather build a small mATX computer with better components.

MyArchitect: have you tested this out? are there any benchmarks or experience that you have? Cause the CPU on the Quadro is a lot better than the Gateway.

However, the Gateway HD 2600 can be modded into a FireGL

Sep 17, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
binary

just as long as you dont use vista.....hahahahahha

Sep 17, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i would NEVER buy a gateway

Sep 17, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

why?

Sep 17, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

too many reasons to list, but to give you a couple...

they are poorly made and their customer support and service is nothing short of awful.

i should say that i have owned gateways in the past and currently have a thinkpad [t60p]. besides a mac i don't think there is a better built computer than a thinkpad and their customer support has been nothing short of fantastic. they cost a little more, but i think its more than worth it. so if your decision is between the two, its not even close imo. although my next computer will be a mac, now that you can run windows on them i don't see a reason not to get one...unless cost is a big issue for you.

Sep 17, 08 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

when did you own gateways?

i hear they are better now
but the thing is a lot people are saying the quadro NVS arent even for 3d applications.

so im force to buy the gateway since its around my budget. Im not too worried since i have a desktop that does all my stuff for me if anything fails

quad core
8800gt
4gb
etc etc

Sep 17, 08 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

what was your reason for you to call customer service btw?

Sep 17, 08 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

it was awhile ago that i owned a gateway, you say you hear they are better now, lets just say personally i wouldn't want to find out. that's how awful my experience was. my parents also owned a gateway and had similar experience. you know long wait times, incompetence, miss guided advice, etc. a headache you don't want.

but if you already have another computer and you just want something to take back and forth from studio get what you can afford.

Sep 17, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

I just made the purchase..if anything goes wrong, hats off to you, i shouldve listend

Sep 17, 08 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: