Archinect
anchor

job application turnover time in NY?

phase123

anyone had experience? how long it usually takes for you to hear back from your job application in NY? suppose the ads are posted within a month, and you're fully qualified?

would I say if no response within a week, then the chance is slim? thanks.

Sep 16, 08 4:27 pm
Living in Gin

Depends on how desperate the firm is, and how much they like you. I don't think there's anything unique about NYC firms in that regard. In my past experience, turnaround time -- from the submitting of my resume, the interview, and a job offer -- has ranged from 48 hours to over six months.

Sep 16, 08 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

phase123 ... wait a decent interval (4-7 days) then make a follow-up inquiry by phone. be polite and patient. try to get through the receptionist to the person who actually is handling the resumes.

focus your inquiry on gathering information about the firm's resume review and candidate selection process. don't be pushy, but inquire when you might be likely to hear back from them. ask if it's okay to touch base by phone or e-mail from time to time ... inquire what an appropriate interval might be. ask if there is any additional information you can provide. offer to stop by for an interview, if that would be helpful.

let them know you're really interested in their firm and thank them for their time.

then sit back and wait ... that's really about all you can do.

Sep 16, 08 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
phase123

thanks a lot, quizzical, very helpful info.
I'm looking for job in another city, that's why it's difficult.
some firms they want you come immediately, some wait over two weeks to respond. i was trying to schedule interviews together,but
for those who wants me to come immediately, I've to schedule some time next week, if not, I guess I'll lose the opportunity. If I go, I've to go to one firm only ... hard.

Sep 16, 08 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Xing

shall the applicants send their resume and wair till further response or send out everything?

Sep 16, 08 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
LonMon

it's a crap time to look for work. People are hiring, of course, but 2-3 listings per day on archinect is not normal. I'm looking myself, I'm sorry to admit, and I went to an interview at a firm here in NYC last week which told me that I was 1 of some 400 responders to their ad on archinect. So, I suggest broadining your search beyond just the listings on this site. Now, if anyone knows of any other good sources of listings beyond the yellow pages, please suggest?

Sep 16, 08 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

It depends, I've been hired on the spot after an interview before (the job blew major, major ass), and then I've waited a year to hear back from another firm, (much better job, still got a crazy boss though).

The job search is extremely similar to dating. If you get a call back from a firm the day after your interview, chances are they're desperate and the office has a nightmarish turnover rate, at least with new employees at entry-level positions. If you get a call back a month or two later (KPF is notorious about this), chances are they're not desperate and they're not a very bad place to work.

Despite any of the above though, it is very rough working in NYC. Yes it pays (for the most part) better than other towns, but understand it is the norm to work 60 hour weeks in this city and pretty much everybody does it, architects, doctors, stockbrokers, construction workers, etc. I have a relatively easy-going boss and work relatively easy hours (btwn 40-60 hours a week), but there are still days I will walk into that office with all hell breaking loose and my boss losing his mind a tearing me a new asshole for it. But hey, that happens everywhere right?

....Right?

Sep 16, 08 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
useasbacku

Apurimac, I don't know about NY, but my impression about Chicago is most smaller firms requires 50 hours per week. that's sad... I definitely won't go no matter how good their design is. it's not worth it.

but the pro of working in a low paid, crazy work hour city is you get a lot of other choices if you don't like your current employer. on the other side, to live in a city that has good salary/ hour/ cost of living, you'd better like your job,or you will be stuck in the city where no one else is hiring.

Sep 16, 08 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
phase123

If a company is actively hiring, then I guess I should expect to hearing from them within a week, is that correct? just like dating...

I guess one week won't be possible if my date receives application from 400 applicant...

Sep 16, 08 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

^ yeah, pretty much, it is exactly like dating. Also, just like dating, it may take them months to get back to you.

Sep 16, 08 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Some firms receive hundreds of applications.
Some have only one person who reviews applications initially, so none are reviewed when that person is on vacation.
Some are so busy that they don't have time to deal with the pile of resumes for a few weeks.
Some want to wait a few weeks until everyone who is going to respond to their ad has done so - so that they can decide who in that whole batch they want to interview, instead of deciding on each individual as the resume arrives. (Remember: interviewing takes a lot of time, and if the firm is busy they don't have a lot of time.)
Some firms have multiple procedural steps to go through before you'll hear from them (there may be a person who does initial screening, then viable candidates' resumes are batched and distributed around the office, then there is a meeting to decide who to interview, etc.)

Also, the higher the position (i.e. the more years of experience required) the slower things will often move, both in the initial contact phase and the negotiations/waiting for an offer phase. Inexperienced interns are often viewed as less of a risk and investment. But if you're looking for a management-level position you can expect that it may take several months of waiting/interviewing/negotiating/waiting with some firms.

So don't write any firm off if you don't hear from them in a week!
Do call within 10 business days to follow up.
Also, if you're searching from out of the area then make sure to emphasize in your cover letters that you can be available to interview locally, and that you can move to the city on short notice if offered the position (if that's the case). Some firms will highly prioritize their initial attention on local applicants, even if they're not as well qualified as some distance candidates, simply because it's quicker and less of a hassle to schedule interviews with local applicants and they can usually start working a lot sooner!

Sep 17, 08 11:10 am  · 
 · 
phase123

thanks, Bloopox

well, I sent resume to a locale firm (20p) last night and got confirmed of interview day/time 10:30am today. another small firm in NY (<10p) called and wants me to go a.s.a.p. they even asked my salary requirement. i guess if a company replies really really quick, it can be both ways: 1. they're desperate hiring, might be very quick firing you too with flow of projects. 2. there're not too many layers for people who make decision in the firm. this is a good thing.

yes, I agree that it might take more than a week to get response, from bigger firms or esp. firms in other cities. but for a smaller firm <40p nearby or not, if it takes longer than a week to get response, then they'd either not very interested or have too many layers in the office. just my 2cents.

Sep 17, 08 11:37 am  · 
 · 
phase123

another possibility is the firm is or thinks they're very good, they wait longer and longer, just like playing hard to get. :) it's too old fashioned but practiced a lot now.

Sep 17, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Could be.
But as someone who handles hiring in a 4-7 person office I usually wait until I get the full "crop" of resumes in before I extended any invitations to interview (though I usually send a little "thanks for submitting your application, we are currently considering your materials..." message. It's not a mark of lack of interest - it's an issue of wanting to see the full field of applicants, at least on paper, before scheduling a week of interviews.
Also in my current firm I use a separate email address for applications, mostly as a spam reduction measure, and usually only spend time reviewing submitted resumes and portfolios on Monday mornings. I understand this could result in losing the applicants who may need to jump at the quickest offer though.

Sep 17, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 
bob2008

The first specific Los Angeles police force was founded in 1853 as the Los Angeles Rangers, a volunteer force that assisted the existing County forces.
The Rangers were soon succeeded by the Los Angeles City Guards, another volunteer group.
Neither force was particularly efficient and Los Angeles became known for its violence, gambling and "vice".
====================================================
Bob
Job Opportunities

Sep 30, 08 12:01 am  · 
 · 
med.

I've sent a lot of applications lately, and so far the turnaround time has greatly varied.

Sep 30, 08 9:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: