Archinect
anchor

architecture as a way of life

awesomekeith

architects with b. arch unrelated and m. arch 1 

vs

architects with b. arch architecture + m. arch 2 / only b. arch 

advantages and disadvantages of each vs. eachother? I am an econ undergrad I am starting m. arch this following fall. in the field, in the real world do i have more or less value than b. archs (assuming of course that I finish)? My friend and I, she is anthropology and i am economics are both going to get m. archs, I feel like potentially we will be better than b. archs. Can you comment on this conundrum?  

i have been reading christopher alexanders 'a pattern language' how important is this book to architecture and the process? what are other books to read?

how can i get involved in architecture now and during my schooling, because it is going to be years before i can even start the licensing process. I have also learned how flawed the education system is through the book 'a pattern language' I have realized that I need to get my hands in architecture now and while in grad school. I want to know how to get involved, I am learning the computer programs but I pretty much only know rhino, sketch up, illustrator and I am no where near and expert, and I have built wooden models that aren't particularly fantastic. What do I have to offer to the field of architecture at this point?

thank you

Aug 20, 13 4:04 pm
Bench

Honestly?

If you're looking to get better in the field: Stop worrying about which route would have been better because you can't change it now anyway. Regardless, the route doesn't matter - future employers will be judging YOU based on YOUR skillset compared to someone else's, not your degree combo to another person's degree combo.

Aug 20, 13 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

slow the hell down, there, kiddo. 

first off : "architecture as a way of life" is really that you're a professional 24/7 - not that you need to "suffer for your art" or some stupid bs like that - it's more that you're relentlessly pimping yourself to potential clients all the f-ing time - this includes cultivating an image... i.e. the "architect lifestyle."

all this other stuff - theory, skills, etc...  you figure out what you are good at and work on getting better at it, hire/work with people who are good at the things you aren't, figure out your own philosophy while being cognizant of others'... that shit takes a long time, and you're never really finished.

you're in school - just keep an open mind and stay focused on what needs to get done.  everything else can come later.

Aug 20, 13 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

or as one of my proffs said

"don't think, just do it"

Aug 20, 13 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
awesomekeith

ok i can dig what you all are telling me, i do need to work on figuring out and only focusing what's important to me. The cynicism, egos, debt i will be taking and overall competitiveness of architecture bums me out enough as it is. 

what about getting involved? Are there certain opportunities i can look for with the experience and tools that I have right now? Before I start school and while I am in school?

Aug 20, 13 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

@ mr. awesome:

well - I don't know what you're interested in and where you plan on ending up after school.  Personally - I'd start attending zoning hearings, neighborhood meetings that involve any kind of infrastructure, parks, or capital investment projects, or volunteer with an organization that combines development/infrastructure investment with community outreach.  You can also start going to events that draws a more intellectual crowd (gallery openings, lectures, etc...) - or wealthy crowd (golf, bicycling, etc...) - or architecture crowd (things like AIA events - but I'd limit the amount of networking time with other architects) and start introducing yourself to people.

The biggest mistake students and young professionals make is not devoting enough time to networking and learning about who the "public" really is.

Aug 21, 13 9:32 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

c'mon toaster, if that was important it would be part of IDP. 

Aug 21, 13 11:07 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

it is part of IDP: "leadership and service."

What the hell do people do?  volunteer at soup kitchens?

Aug 21, 13 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
awesomekeith

thanks you guys are great 

Aug 22, 13 6:13 am  · 
 · 
awesomekeith

ok, i have another question. and instead of blowing up the boards maybe if i put it in here someone will look and answer it .. 

how does one compare curriculum across m. arch programs?

do all naab accredited schools teach the same concepts?

for example, if i compare cca (an art school) to U of Illinois (university) cca's course titles seem more general using words like materials and methods, design studio, architectural theory, visual/design medium. where as U of I's curriculum uses words such as statistics, dynamics, concrete, steel, HVAC. And it varies even more when you look at other schools.

What does it mean when people talk about schools that have a more practical or theoretical approach?

How do I compare curriculum? It seems every program has it's own language, how do I interpret it? 

In trying to figure out what schools I want to apply to I have figured important things to look at are alumni, and faculty. Should I even consider the rankings? Am I going to come out with the same understanding of architecture as long as the program is naab accredited?

I have grown up around Los Angeles and I did undergrad at ASU in phoenix and for some reason I am having trouble convincing myself to apply to schools that aren't located in Los angeles or san francisco how can I get rid of this mentality? 

sorry for the annoying title of this thread and/or me if i am annoying archinect is the only active forum i know

Aug 23, 13 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: