Archinect
anchor

How often do you look for product information?

Hi Archinecters - I am one of the founders of Designer Pages (www.designerpages.com) and I am trying to assemble some analysis re: how often you all as architects / designers find yourself looking at products for your work.

By this, I mean how many products per week do you find yourself looking at, whether it comes via search / research, someone sends you a link to a product, or you're just reviewing product information / specifications such to include in construction documents?? I know it's a tough question, but this would be really helpful information for me.

I'll even start... I think I wind up 'seeing' 20-25 products per week whether it be via my own searching for products or a colleague forwarding me a product to consider.

Now your turn... how many products do you see each week?

Sep 13, 08 12:03 am

uhmm every fricking day

on an average week somewhere between 10 to 15 products (3-5 different types), but that's without reading architectural magazines included I'd jump that up to 30 to 50 have you seen Dwell recently its all products the last 20 pages or so

Sep 13, 08 1:19 am  · 
 · 
outthere

about 1 per week

Sep 13, 08 9:49 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i don't do a lot of product research. if i don't see it in a major trade publication, i usually don't bother. it seems to be more valuable in the world of interior design. at least it is in my office.

Sep 13, 08 10:49 am  · 
 · 
solidsnake

I'm with architechnophilia,

Maybe 30mins-1hr everyday, but its more in part because my boss can't make a f-ing decision, and he wants it for cheap. Thus I have to search a bunch of diff products before we can move forward on anything

Sep 15, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Really depends on the week. I do a lot of interior design - residential remodeling and additions - so I pick a lot of finish materials.

Tile (wall and floor), plumbing fixtures, light fixtures: every week, practically every day
Doors and windows: coupla times a month
Fabric, carpet, furniture, wood flooring: coupla times a month
Other materials, like stainless, glass and acrylic panels, stair railings, finish wood trim, casework: 1x/month probably
Structural and exterior cladding materials: maybe 4x/year

Sep 15, 08 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Sweets is about 1/3 the number of volumes it used to be. I miss it.

Sep 15, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

daily x2

Sep 15, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

daily, all divisions. I even looked up the amp load for an air conditioner today

Sep 15, 08 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

This is awesome feedback - thanks to everyone for commenting.

Question, can I ask each of you what types of practices you all come from? Like residential interiors, or commercial architecture, etc.? Just curious if there's a trend other than what I'd presume like interior designers are searching for products all day long while geotech engineers are researching for products much less :) No offense to either interior designers or geotech engineers.

In particular, @ 'outthere' and 'jafidler' since you both seem to spend less time researching products, may I ask how you spend most of your time each day at work?

Thanks again to everyone!

Sep 15, 08 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

I always found sweets a little lame, despite its usefulness. Mostly because of how its organised and the fact it seems geared towards commerical architects. I could just have a bee in my bonnet

Sep 15, 08 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: