Archinect
anchor

'Remote Sketch'

Jordan Lloyd

So my masters dissertation is examining how schools of architecture benefit from the influx of 'web 2.0' user enabled technologies and what it's implications. In one of my interviews, a friend of mine commented that if two people are using Skype, it's great for remote communication but if you are sketching out ideas, scanning the thing in and emailing it takes the spontaneity out of the process.

It led me to think that it would be a really good idea to come up with a standalone app or an Adobe Photoshop modification that allows two or more people to work on the same digital file (i.e a photoshop document) simultaneously over the internet using a graphics tablet (whilst running Skype in the background).

I would be interested to know if something like this already exists, or if anyone knows anyone who would be willing to develop this further. I have a friend who pointed out that Mac OSX Leopard's screensharing function (found in the system library) allows this to happen. Upon closer inspection, it appears that this only really works for local devices through Apple's Bonjour technologies. Apparently it works over the internet with iChat but I need to try it with someone with a Mac. I found an article (http://www.leancrew.com/all-this/2008/02/leopard-screen-sharing-over-the-internet/) that shows you how to configure a working solution, but I think this is far beyond the average user.

If anyone out there knows of something that already exists, I would really be interested in finding out more.

Jay

Sep 12, 08 7:40 am
a-f

It's maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but Aviary is a collection of rich internet applications (most of them are only at an idea stage) for collaboration in different mediums. I have a beta account, but didn't really get around trying it out yet.

Sep 12, 08 8:11 am  · 
 · 
trace™

There are tools for this. Do a search for "Online Collaboration, notes" or something like that.

Google has an app that does some of this, although I couldn't figure it out in the 10 minutes I looked at it.

We are at Web 3.0, as a fyi.

If you find anything, please post. I'd love to find some software for this too, as most of my clients are remote.

Sep 12, 08 9:02 am  · 
 · 
MMatt
We are at Web 3.0, as a fyi.

I don't think that's exactly true... the 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 tags refer to the level of intelligence and the interconnectedness of the applications which form the foundations of the user experience. Web 2.0 is still budding, the 3.0 term is only applied to the next "evolutionary leap."

This proposal sits squarely in the Web 2.0 realm, which is more about forms of collaboration and connection between remote parties than anything else.

God that sounded nerdy.

.mm

Sep 12, 08 9:58 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I stand corrected.

You've got me beat on the nerdy front, hands down ;-)

Sep 12, 08 10:37 am  · 
 · 
induct

Look up Tom Kvan and Marc Aurel Schnabel

Sep 12, 08 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: