Archinect
anchor

u.s m.arch degree better for employment in canada?

cdp3

hi guys,

would you all say that a US m.arch degree will be better in getting a job in canada? knowing that the amount of student debt would be closer to 100k over 55k (degree in canada), is it worthwhile in pursuing?

thanks!

Aug 19, 13 12:45 am
bowling_ball

Absolutely not.  First, nobody up here will care all that much where you went to school, at least not enough to pay you double - because that's what you'd need to make in order to pay off those loans.  If you're LUCKY you might make $42 to $45k at your first job (depending on the market).  You can do the math.

in fact, I'd say it's barely worth it if you went to school in Canada, but that's another discussion.

Aug 19, 13 2:48 am  · 
 · 
Bench

I was accepted to one of the better schools in the US after finishing my undergrad arch. degree in Canada (where I'm a citizen). However the difference in cost was painfully staggering, so much so that it proved to be prohibitive. I was having a tough time deciding between it or one of the (subjectively) better Canadian schools which offered me an almost-full tuition scholarship, so I approached the employers that I knew in the closest major Canadian city to both schools to see what their thoughts were. They knew of the US program but were not as familiar with it as people in that state were. When I mentioned the money aspect they seemed wary of going that route.

So while the US school sounded exotic to employers and certainly was an eye-opener based on the fact that they would not typically get applicants from that school (possibly ever), and I DID believe that I would get a better education from it, I was looking at around a $100,000 loan to pay back when all was said and done, versus maybe ~$5000 tops if I went to the Canadian counterpart (and that was only because I'm hoping to do a study-abroad for one of the semesters). I did not get the impression that it would significantly improve my chances for employment, at least at the firms I spoke to (some smaller 3-man places, some run by FRAIC's, etc.), and I would be handcuffed to that loan for a very, very long time. I think there's an arguement to be made that if you can mention you went to an Ivy League school (mine was not), then it could potentially give you some leverage as they're much more uncommon in Canada than even in the US - but as BowlingBall mentioned, I wouldn't expect to be making much more (if any more) than a counter part without that. The Canadian architecture scene seems to be based much more on merit than school name, as it always has been.

Aug 19, 13 9:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: