Archinect
anchor

Including floor plans in your porfolio: pros & cons?

I'm finalizing my portfolio as I 'discovered' now that I don't have any real floor plans included. I tried to explain my design through 3D-sections and sketches by hand, but now I'm still wondering, is it best to include one or some floor plans, maybe a section? 

My portfolio is quite small, so it won't be very readible anyway I think for most of the details in it.

What is your opinion?

Aug 18, 13 10:53 am
natematt

If your sketches and sections do a fantastic job of explaining your project then they are probably not necessary. However, I for one tend to think that there is is a lot that is best, or only, explained in plans... which is why they are so important for building construction. I think not having any also might call into question your ability to do quality plans.

Aug 19, 13 10:50 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

A few floor plans are good to include. However, make sure you only include plans that don't have any rookie mistakes in them (door swings going the wrong way, inside corners sharper than about 70 degrees, stupid bathroom layouts, etc.). Have an experienced architect look them over for that kind of stuff if you're not sure.

Aug 19, 13 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

Well, most of the floor plans are for explaining larger buildings like a performing arts centre and a swimming pool complex. I have included some plans, just so they can see what's what and orientate my renderings.

Aug 19, 13 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: