Archinect
anchor

eps to Photoshop tips

evilplatypus

Does anyone have any tips on importing eps files from acad to photoshop? Ive made the eps papersize the same as the photoshop image size, Ive jacked up resolution to 300dpi, and tried bicubic, nearest neighbor and linear resolutions - and it looks OK. But the fine detail is still a bit aliased and a little pixelated. You have to zoom in to see this but I imagine there must be a way to get razor sharp lines - such as in a plt file. I dont have illustrator so Photoshop suggestions would be most helpfull - thanks

Sep 11, 08 1:01 am
Bruce Prescott

If you are working with line drawings, try converting them to bitmap after import which gets rid of anti aliasing. Then covert back to rgb or cmyk for coloring. You will always be able to zoom in and see pixelation in P-shop -- the question is how does it look on your output device.

I have found that plotting to pdf and then rasterizing the pdf in p-shop works better than eps.

Sep 11, 08 1:32 am  · 
 · 
Atom

1.) Save the drawing with a new name.

2.) Explode everything you can several times and purge, purge, purge.

3.) Export your drawing to dxf or an old version like 2000.

4.) Open the drawing in Illustrator, here you can change the line weights by giving each layer a stroke width.

5.) Open the Illustrator file in photoshop.

Looks crisp.

Sep 11, 08 3:24 am  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

an eps a vector (as opposed to raster) image, right? Do whant you can in illustrator, save it as a pdf or ai to move to photoshop (where you do raster / pixel work). illustrator can open an eps.

Sep 11, 08 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

hahaha...

i like how your post says specifically that you dont have illustrator... and half the advice here requires illustrator.

evil,
for ALL our presentation drawings based on auto cad drawings we plot EPS and photoshop the drawings.

i never use illustrator.

as spruce mentioned, youre always going to get pixels in photoshop, i would test it on your plotter.

If that doesnt work, there is one trick i use sometimes that can fix lines that are a bit TOO pixelated.

this is a cheat fix but it can work in some situations.

select the lines of the eps

go to >select >modify >expand

expand the selection area by 1 (or more pixels...your preference) and re-fill the line with a gradient or paint bucket. Yes, this will thicken the line, but it can help fill in some gaps in the line. Also, you can take this newly created line use the >fileter >sharpen functions to help even more.

bottom line is if your plugging eps in at 300 dpi, the pixelation is never going to be noticeable once plotted.

one other tip

dont try to beef up your line weights in cad to show up better in photoshop. ive noticed thicker lines in photoshop are more noticeably pixelated. leave your plot styles alone and just duplicate the layers in PS until the line is strong enough.

good luck

Sep 11, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

tHANKS ALL

Sep 11, 08 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

make sure to use "multiply" for the layer copies.

also, a Hi-res PDF might work better than an EPS file

plus you could always use "gaussian blur" on the linework, but go easy on it

Sep 11, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
jgs

I have found increasing to 360 dpi makes a HUGE difference when outputting to an inkjet printer - which many plotters are. You don't say what you are trying to do.

Review this info and find the best input resolution for your printer (if that is what you are trying to do). I have an Epson 1400 and was having trouble with line drawings exported from AutoCad as EPS files, opened in Photoshop, specifically a diagonal line from a roof section that kept coming out jagged at 300 dpi, change to 360 dpi perfect smooth diagonal line - I am thrilled with the results. Improves all line work.

http://www.inkjetart.com/tips/ppi/

Sep 15, 08 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

you may also try one other thing. i'm sure you've already done this platy, but if not here goes:

i'm sure you're using a postscript level 1 plotter to plot to eps.

in your plot dialogue box click on the properties button for the printer/plotter. in the "device and document settings" tab look for "graphics" in the menu. expand it and select "vector graphics". there is a slide bar that you can use to increase and decrease the dpi. kick it up some notches and it should help.

Sep 15, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: