Archinect
anchor

Next Gen Stadia

evilplatypus

I have to say that the live shots from the air of the Colt's new Lucas Oil Stadium were spectacular. Even though it has a retro, 1910 covered arena look ( think old westside Chicago Stadium) it also looked really cool and modern with the giant trusses and retractable roof which slides the entire length of the field.

Thumbs up Indy. I only wish I could find some images from the blimp shots during the game - it just looked so cool with the roof open at night.

Sep 8, 08 10:17 am
evilplatypus

whereas the bird cage looks amazing in its complexity - it also doesnt look like the kind of place I want to go into - The shots of Lucas filed's open arcades from the blimp with people drinking beer and eating at tables just looked so inviting. A very comfy place to watch an event.

Sep 8, 08 10:20 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

i suppose this thread wouldnt be complete without mentioning the megaplex being built in Dallas

link

Sep 8, 08 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

I like the retractable roof system and large operable window opening in one end zone, but am having a hard time getting past the overall warehouse motif.

Sep 8, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

"industrial gothic" - I thought it was retarded too until I actualy saw the stadium live on TV from multiple angles - its pretty nice. I guess cutting edge structure doesnt have to be clad in composite panels after all. Maybe its the factory shape and roof that make it interesting - it seems to go against all contemporary stadium precendents. Its more like a from the early covered ampitheaters

Sep 8, 08 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
ether

Actually, I had the exact opposite reaction to those blimp feeds. It looks like a big boring barn/warehouse with a gabled roof, pilasters and bad proportions. But then again, what do I know?

Sep 8, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm sorry, I'm too exhausted by Sarah Palin to comment intelligently on this thread. But I don't especially like the stadium, because I hate the retro we're-scared-of-the-future vibe it gives off. AND there have been major fan complaints about the circulation up to the upper decks being waaaay too small (45 minute waits for an escalator on opening day) and hard to find.

It's impressive, but in a brute dumb force way. No finesse, no sophistication. and the strip-mall signage is just insulting.

The view from the "party deck" or whatever it's called to the skyline is pretty spectacular, though.

Sep 8, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
dlb

isn't "schlock" the correct description?

Sep 8, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Positive p - Are you considering it cutting edge due to the retractable roof portion, or is there an additional feature I'm missing?

Sep 8, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Retractable 100 yard panel? Thats impresive.

Sep 8, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

LB - the metal clad stadiums of today are going to be the imploded astro domes of tomorrow - this should have more staying power because of its simple style.

Sep 8, 08 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Perhaps its retro styling will endear it to the nostalgic residents of my city, but the functional complaints are VERY high.

It was pointed out on a local blog that we've now built two football stadiums in 25 years - Naptown and Indiana haven't finished paying for the Dome, which is about to be imploded, and we're now paying for the new stadium too. Yet my son's elementary school doesn't have air conditioning because the school district can't afford it.

The stadium, to me, is representative of every misplaced priority in our society.

And, platypus, local season ticket holders disappointed by Lucas Oil Stadiom are saying the viewing of a game is a wonderful experience at Soldier Field!

Sep 8, 08 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

I'm not trying to specifcally disparage the accomplishment, but massive retractable roofs have been done in a variety of projects for quite a few years now.

They almost all employ different systems to accomplish this feat. It seems to be a big part of the challenge, not only do the stadium builders want a retractable roof, they also seem to want one that retracts in an unusual or new fashion.

Reliant Stadium :

Amsterdam Arena:

Sep 8, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
dlb

the 'metal-clad stadiums of today' are the 'Wal-Marts' of sports - big, cheap and functional -in the most basic of ways- but as long-lasting as any purely economically based artifact - ready to be demolished at the slightest down-turn or change of fortune - for the city or the team. this is not INVESTMENT - this is risk-averse speculation.

Sep 8, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

LB - Nowhere is better to watch a game than at the home of a certain team from a certain midwestern city which has joined the pantheon of athletic greatness, a team know as da Bears. But they dont have retractable roof.

Sep 8, 08 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i say thank god the bears have some balls and play outside. why does Indy need a dome anyway?? If Chicago and GB play outside, Indy sure as hell can. Minnesota in a dome... ok, that one i can buy cause it really does get crazy cold there and it might be dangerous for fans... but anyway...

evil... im sorry im not with you on this one... i agree that the retractable roof is fantastic, but Postal and i were talking about it last night, and its clearly in the same vain as Post-Post modern/neo crapical mc mansions... like suburban strip malls that "bring the elegance of Seville to Aurora" or something...

its some sort of cliche and kitchy call back to the yester years... were folks had barns, and the world was a good and gentle place.

Im with you on the impressive structure, but feel like its very cheap... very shallow, and is virtually impossible for me to take seriously... Maybe if they had renovated an old warehouse or historic building rather than pretending to create one...

sort of how a certain team from a certain mid western city with a certain man-god coach did...

Sep 8, 08 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
its some sort of cliche and kitchy call back to the yester years... were folks had barns, and the world was a good and gentle place.

That's exactly the mindset of the majority of Naptown, lletdownl (sigh).

Also, evil-p, as a fan of construction you'll like this: I did a construction tour of the stadium last year and wrote it up for a local blog. The best part was how this "state of the art" facility gets built:

The two halves (of the trusses that span across the field) will be lifted into place simultaneously, attached at either end, then joined in the center... The amazing thing about the erection of these trusses is that despite all the heavy equipment, huge cranes, and modern technology, the final placement of the trusses comes down to sheer manpower: while the trusses will be lifted by cranes, ropes will be attached to the truss pieces, and teams of construction workers standing on the ground will pull them the last few inches into perfect alignment to be connected. Cool.

It always comes down to simple manpower.

Sep 8, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I was mildy surprised by it last night - I was expecting nothing having previously seen the renderings however I got a little semi chubby - it was like a happy accident

Sep 8, 08 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

all i could think of while watchin the game, was...

christ, what a fugly stadium...

Sep 8, 08 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

is naptown indy? ive never heard that one before... very funny!

Sep 8, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

all i could think was... holy crap...the bears might win...

Sep 8, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

now that the lions have vacated for a return to detroit, i'm pretty sure that the pontiac silverdome is the best place in the world to watch a football game...

Sep 8, 08 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: