Archinect
anchor

How soon do you hear back from an application, if it's an unadvertised opening?

y&Y!

An alumni I informational interviewed forwarded a internal job opening on Monday. Sent in complete application on Tuesday though the admin person said there's no need to apply , because they have info extracted from previous email correspondences already. Since then, I have not heard anything back from them. I'd make a junior-intermediate staff, but the job sounds like a good fit. Should I ask my contact about that already or just try to follow up with admin lady? Normally how soon you'd hear about this kind of openings?

Aug 15, 13 1:31 pm
bklyntotfc

Follow up informally with your contact on Monday - he/she may be able to give you some inside info that the admin person would not share with you.  A couple of things to remember:

1. It's incredibly unlikely that you aggressively following up will have any impact at all on whether or not you get the position, or on how quickly/slowly the firm pulls the trigger on hiring someone.

2. Following up too frequently/aggressively can actually negatively impact your chances.  So don't call every 2 days for week after week.  My recommendation is to follow up by phone or e-mail the day after an interview to say thanks for taking the time to meet with me, and to ask if the firm has any additional questions for/about you, or needs more info (an additional reference to contact, etc.).  When you follow up, ask when it would be appropriate for you to check in again...and listen to the advice the interviewer gives.  If she says "call me in a month," don't call every week.

3. From your viewpoint, the job is the most important thing in the world and you need to know if it's happening or not asap.  But filling that position may be one of 10 things on the interviewers to do list, or a job they may have just learned that a job they thought would be starting in September is being pushed back to November.  It's hard but necessary  to be patient with the process.

From your post - and I'm definitely trying to connect widely spaced dots here - you seem to be bordering on being overly aggressive, particularly where you sent in an application that the admin person specifically told you they didn't need.  It's a fine line between demonstrating your eagerness for a position, and showing a potential employer that you can't follow their instructions.

Aug 15, 13 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
y&Y!

bklyntotfc, thank you so much for your advice. You are right, I am also worried about being too aggressive in this case.

The reason why I sent in an application package when the admin said there's no need is because initially my contact told me to send in resume, cover letter and sample portfolio, and also let me know what to put in the cover letter. So I wasn't quite sure who to listen to, and end up writing the cover letter anyways, also told admin that I'm sending in a new package so that they could have everything in one place and I could provide additional information that was not addressed in previous correspondences...does that sound a bit much? ...Now I'm totally concerned.

Aug 15, 13 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
bklyntotfc

Don't over think it.  What you did sounds fine.  If you haven't already, send them a thank you note or e-mail, and let it lie for a while.

Aug 16, 13 7:52 am  · 
 · 
y&Y!

thank you note for receiving my application, bklyntotfc?

Aug 16, 13 10:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: