Archinect
anchor

expectations for those who had two years experiences?

useasbacku

just out of curiosity, what're usually employer's expectations for those who'd two years experiences in terms of the following areas?

1. code, I guess you might gain some knowledge of fire/ handicap code, etc? such as clear height, number of stairs needed etc. but not a lot?
2. details. do employers expect you to draw details from scratch or only expect you draft after someone has sketched it?
3. what part of CDs should you be able to take the lead doing? enlarged section? or redline?

any input will greatly appreciated.

Sep 6, 08 8:53 am
useasbacku

oh, forgot to add 4. concept design ability... I guess this ability doesn't grow or shrink if you just do CDs. but in most firms, bosses do all design? then what'll your boss expect you have in terms of concept design ability?
5. presentation skills. so those photoshop, 3d work now should shift to those who're fresh out of school , right? or presentation is still big part of the expectation?

thanks a lot. even for just reading the long post...

Sep 6, 08 8:56 am  · 
 · 
Misen

If it's a locally based firm that does the same type of projects in the region, two years should be sufficient amount of time for you to know code and most of the details.

If it's an internationally based firm that takes the set to about DD before handing it off, then your expected set of skills are more on the representational side maybe? Maybe someone can answer this better.

Sep 6, 08 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

In the case of large international firm - one can be expected to do some rendering - If you are really smart, then you get to do a lot of CD work that entails code knowledge, and details. If you are defficient in any area, you can find youself on the sidelines. basically, you would have to start over from square 1. Graduates from big 8 schools tend to advance quicker than others.

Sep 8, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
dsze

I'd say the complete set of DD is what the expectancy looking for.

I'd not hire a 2 year experience post grad to do 3D rendering and a 2 year experience architect should NOT do 3D rendering as well. They should hire 3D rendering.

A 2 year experience post grad should at least progress to a complicated DD set like cladding or a small scale CD job.

Sep 26, 08 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

in my mind...2 years is really not that much experience...
but i guess it is legal to be a RA after three...huh. i think for sure you should've worked on a couple CD packages at this point, but i feel like there should still be a bunch of oversight...
this of course depends on what size project/firm etc.

Sep 26, 08 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i dont think knowing all the codes off hand is an issue.... you could always look them up when needed/etc.

i would think doing cd's and maybe helping in design could be practical.

then, product specs/details are usually drawn once and probably saved in a folder to copy, or you just redraw them from the product book.

so whats really left?....

i would also think it depends on the type of firm also. if the firm does typical construction or a firm thats more into detailing/designing every part of the building and having items made/etc

b

Sep 26, 08 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I like this thread.

I guess everyone's experiences are different depending on what kind of architect they want to be.

The most important thing I've learned in my first two years is coordination with MEP, Structural, interiors, and other consultants. It quickly made me learn a lot of things that I would have otherwise not learned.

Sep 26, 08 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i think the hardest part is just getting into a firm

once you work in the firms you have to stay in the firms really... if you try to go off the route for a bit then it's 10x harder to get back in

not sure if firms realize other talents that are not typical of the regular joe that has worked in the firms......hmmmm

i think the book work has to be learned in the firms regardless if you have 1-10 years.... some folks might not even have to deal with codes while they are just cad-jockeys or higher end designer for larger projects.

but then again the "typical" office experience tends to hold more weight than "practical" experience. just because you can draw something doesnt mean it can happen.

b

Sep 26, 08 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

I better get moving thento get on track - 1.5 years - post grad and only SD/CD on a skyscraper + no CD - lots of 3D rendering

Sep 26, 08 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

does anyone else get a string of:

& # 1055 ; & # 1086 ; & # 1088 ; & # 1091 ; & # 1089 ; & # 1089 ; & # 1082 ; & # 1080 ;

that messes up the board? just wondering 'in russian'

Sep 26, 08 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
binary

yup......

Sep 26, 08 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: