Archinect
anchor

How to be a Manager

farwest1

I've recently found myself in the position of managing a number of projects and a number of people. For the last couple of years, I've essentially worked by myself.

I've always taken the attitude "if i want it done well, I'll do it myself." When I have managed people, I find I spend a large amount of time explaining, answering questions, and correcting mistakes. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I dislike managing. But if I want to grow, I have to learn to like it.

Does anyone out there have tips and tricks for how to manage people? How to get the people you manage to "do it better" and take initiative? How to minimize the time you spend explaining, while maximizing everyone's productivity and enjoyment? (Jeez, I even hate the language of management.)

Sep 5, 08 6:49 pm
mantaray

Be nice. Reward a job well done and reward hard work. Pleasant works better than mean.

Sep 5, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Be willing to work late when they have to (doesn't have to be quite as long as they have to, but at least be there for part of it.) and be willing to occasionally buy dinner as a thank you.

Sep 5, 08 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

I guess this is also a question about how to delegate. I think I do okay in the niceness category, but I have trouble giving up work and asking others to do it. (My problem is that I prefer to do it myself., Maybe I don't trust others?)

Sep 5, 08 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

being a good manager is much like being a good architect -- the best ones know how to do it really well without being told, but a good education can go a long way. Let me suggest you consider a management course at the nearest business school. also, a considerable literature exists on the subject, as well as helpful material in education and psychology.

the crux of the matter however will be in how you approach it. If you believe that no one else can do it well you will spend a considerable amount of time micro-managing. develop trust relationships with the people working for you, encourage them to be the best they can be, support their talents and help them redress their weaknesses. create a culture where a manager is just the first among equals, and everyone will be happier, more productive and more comitted to doing great work.

Most of all, don't waste time being extra-nice, or mean. When someone does good work say something about it, and reward them if you can, but don't turn it into a show. when someone fails, keep your temper, be clear about what went wrong and how to not make the mistake next time, and move on.

Sep 5, 08 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
farwest1

: there are no magic-wand answers to your questions -- learning to manage other people (and delegate work effectively) takes a lot of time, dedication and patience. However, if you ever want to be in responsible charge of large, significant projects, it's a skill you need to master.

There's not one big thing that you need to learn. There's lots of little things over which you need a certain mastery - plus you need to learn when to use which skill or technique. Mostly, it takes patience, discipline and a certain awareness of what you're trying to accomplish. Strong communication skills are vital.

I'd advise several things -- there are some good seminars you can attend; PSMJ usually conducts several programs each year, as does the Practice Management Knowledge Community within AIA.

AIA also publishes the Practice Management Digest which provides some well written articles on this, and other, topics several times each year -- all of their past articles are available on line for free.

Plus, AIA publishes Best Practices which contain several free articles on this topic, along with references to more detailed treatment of the subject matter. And finally, there are tons and tons or books available on the general subject.

Mostly, I'd advise that you not feel frustrated if you can't get over this hurdle in one quick leap. The subject is complex and takes a while -- I've been doing this for 35 years and I still wonder at times if I really know anything about management at all. It's a continual learning process.

If you really want to get there, you will / if you don't, you won't.

Good luck!

Sep 5, 08 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Thanks for the advice! You learn a lot about yourself when you start to manage projects and people.

I've realized that I'm good at the client and contractor "interface" part of management. I'm reasonably capable at project administration, and at production. But it's this one skill, managing people who are working under me, that eludes me.

I've occasionally shown up on a jobsite or in a meeting to find that the drawings produced by someone I'm managing are rife with errors. It's embarrassing for the firm when a client asks why there's no elevator in the building, and then we find it floating in the white space of the page. And yet I often don't have time, as I'm rushing out the door, to check over an entire drawings for mistakes.

Sep 5, 08 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

the best way to reduce your managerial angst and have happy subordinates is to empower them. give them as much of the big picture as possible, as early as possible. then state the goals/what needs to be done, why it needs doing & when it must be finished by - then see who steps up or delegate based on abilities/interests. ask if they understand how to get it done or do they need more specific direction/hand holding/kick in the rear. then sit back, let them work, and check progress every now and then.

tell the team your expectations and they will live up to them. if you don't, well you already have that situation...

Sep 5, 08 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

quizzical dropping k!

Sep 5, 08 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
farwest1

: the most important aspects of delegation involve a) clarity of your expectations, and b) follow-up and review on a timely basis.

You've got to be able to describe clearly the results you expect. But you've also got to review progress thoroughly enough, and early enough, to identify and resolve problems before the deadline or meeting.

You have the right to expect your team members to review and coordinate their own work. But, until you know fully which team members are consistently thorough and complete, you still have to look at what everybody's doing to verify that results are evolving the way needed. That's the essence of supervision.

But, it's a delicate dance - as others above have noted, you don't want to hover or micro-manage. It takes a while to find the right balance.

You might want to talk with your team about these issues - candor and communication are powerful tool that emerging managers often are reluctant to use.

Sep 6, 08 6:58 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

what?...nobody has mentioned fear as a management and motivation tool?

Sep 6, 08 9:49 am  · 
 · 
blackcomb1

- Be respectful,
- Communicate often but don't micro manage,
- Be prepared for fuck ups by junior staff, ( let them learn a bit through trial by fire )
- Make sure they understand want went wrong and explain why its wrong, letting people be fearful to try new stuff isn't right either.
- Praise when they get it right.
- Ask them how you can help, assist or direct them as a positive member of the team.

Sep 7, 08 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

Review drawings / quality control before it goes out the door. While it sounds reductive that is what the client sees and what gets built. A mad manager looks incompetent when they blast the junior staff for something the management was feeling too important to review. A manager can always blame the junior staff for errors in any phase. Does it keep it from happening again? With regard to your approach to managing, I agree with whats been said. Try to avoid the story time where you say things like "when I was your age" or answering questions with some meandering anecdote. Manage well and your subordinates might respect you and look up to you instead of thinking you are a delegating dick.

Sep 8, 08 3:32 am  · 
 · 
ChuckCork

When the soon to be gone and good riddance HR person who was at our firm, told me in his "review" of the firm (not billed as staff review but that is maangement lying to you) that everyone thought I was crap, the management though I was a nightmare, and he personally found me objectionable, he said I may have a few good points that could be worked on, and then handed me a statement i was more or less forced to sign agreeing with the view that I was crap....and later in the day he fired 2 people, and then came out with crocodile tears about it.

Ever had that dream where you just want to punch someone to a bloody pulp? Been a while since I felt like that, but he made me feel it all right. And I all could do, was to swallow it. And they wonder why I show no initiative at work.

Of course I did have an interview with another firm later that day, I could see it coming!

Well anyway, that is one way to NOT behave if your a manager.

Sep 8, 08 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I think the first step is simply wanting to be a good manager, and having a healthy level of self-reflection on the job you are doing.

also - the moment you start placing blame on others is the moment you lose the respect of those who work with you (and for you).

Sep 8, 08 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
pvbeeber

farwest1, I found myself in a similar position several years ago when I started taking on management responsibilities, and have found that accountability is a great motivator. Make sure your client is familiar with your team and vice versa, and next time the elevator disappears let the person responsible explain to the client what happened. I've learned that most "mistakes" occur because the person making the "mistake" is comfortably insulated from the consequences. While part of being a manager is being accountable for the actions of your team, something is wrong if you're taking all the heat and your team is not. I'm a pretty nice guy, but would hand someone their ass if they gave me a drawing like that to present to a client.

Sep 8, 08 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
twee

be a mentor rather than a micro manager.

it took me a long time to learn to let the "i know it will be done right if i just do it myself" attitude go.

you have to take the smart risk.

make your management style a collaborative effort with junior staff-without being a coffee talk environment. set the level of expectation to an achievable one that you are comfortable with. once that is met, you can continually pass along more responsibility and accountability.
everyone is going to eff up every now and again, key point being now and again-not all the time. use the mistakes made as points of learning. not everyone has received the same level of education (we should only hope so, but it isnt always the case).

everyone can always stand to learn more.

your approach to how you educate and handle challenges with junior staff will dictate what kind of manager you are.

Sep 8, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: