Archinect
anchor

Professional Advice regarding applying for jobs stateside

mhjrogers
I am hoping someone can give me some genuine advice on landing positions in the United States.
I have been using the Archinect website for years and have recently found myself with the opportunity to land a new job.
However, the postings are very limited in Canada - there are many jobs that I am qualified for (with my experience of 12 years as an interior designer in Canada) in the United States.
Are US firms less likely to hire outside of the country or is it relatively case specific?

Aug 13, 13 9:57 pm

I think you are up against the immigration political problems we are facing right now in the US.  If you can get a work visa or emigrate to the US first then you are more likely to land a job.

Smaller firms do not have the resources to deal with visa applications and will likely not consider any foreign applicants for fear of incurring a lot of bureaucratic hassles. However larger firms and firms that span the border have the infrastructure inplace to support international job applicants and are familiar with navigating bureaucracies from both sides of the border.

Look to the Pacific northwest for lots of firms that span the border, there are several firms that have Vancouver and Seattle offices. Also it is more effective to apply in person using a strategy called informational interviewing. Look for the book cracking the hidden job market, it should be most helpful.

Aug 17, 13 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
0super2

As an Interior Designer, you are eligible for the TN work visa. This visa allows you to work in America immediately for up to three years (renewable). TN stands for temporary non-immigrant, which means you aren't looking to become a citizen--you just want to work for a period of time. 

Architects are covered under this status too and it takes a bit of preparation and about 30 minutes at a port of entry to receive the visa should your paperwork be in order. Some firms aren't aware of this and are hesitant about hiring internationally, but large firms will have gone through this before at some point. Look into it, it is very convenient and easy. No lawyers involved and it costs $56 USD. 

Aug 17, 13 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Sergo Antadze

tiorted, are you sure about this? or this only applies to Canadian citizens? I received H1B visa 10 years ago and went through the hell before I became permanent resident, hired lawyers and God knows what else... never heard of TN work visa..

Aug 17, 13 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
Given

I didnt know about this either, very interesting. Looks like its a NAFTA deal though so while its great for the original poster, I wouldn't get your hopes up reading this if you are outside of Canada or Mexico...

Aug 18, 13 12:16 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

I know this breaking some kind of rule, but i am in need of professional advice and i don't want to start another post.

I was told by my boss that i am close but not were i should be to get a complete expected raise to $*** buck an hour and instead will get a little lower. I was given a list of things to do to improve my skills and there is one that i thought that the forum would be able to help me with.

Knowledge of Construction techniques and terminology......How would i be able to get experience in this area if I'm in the office 24/7? Any thoughts

Nov 13, 13 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
redchairs

MyDream: Why not ask your boss directly his/her advice on this? Since they are the ones asking you to get the experience, they should be the ones to offer suggestions as to how to go about it. Use them as a resource. People love to be asked for guidance!

Nov 13, 13 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I feel so stupid for trying to find out information on my own I should have gone to the source first. My boss deigned a house for one of the most famous celebrities in the world and probably would like to be asked how to do something that he has mastered.

Thank you for your advice and it I will use it tomorrow.

Nov 13, 13 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
redchairs

Please let me know how it goes!

Nov 13, 13 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I got cold feet and cowardly avoided the situation, which makes me think low of myself, but hey i still have a job. I do have books that i have collected over the years of school and just general thirst for knowledge. Project delivery Practice Guide and Fundamentals of Building Construction are the books that I am using to learn what is needed. Architect's from what i have learned do not like to repeat one self nor do they like to be asked dumb questions i would rather just learn another way than taking a chance and asking. The show them what i have learned, I have until my next review to increase my knowledge and skill set.

WTF

Nov 14, 13 9:46 am  · 
 · 
redchairs

You don't want to start a new post, you don't want to ask your own boss for advice, you admit to being cowardly.....Get a backbone! Or don't ask for advice.

Nov 14, 13 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

:(....I guess i deserved that....sorry for the dumb question

Nov 14, 13 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: