Archinect
anchor

Need Construction detailing experience/supplemental education in NYC

constrgas

I received an M.Arch degree over 3 years ago but have not been working as a designer since graduation. I have been working as a Project Manager-overseeing the design and construction process for city government.

I am interested in keeping my day job but also interested in developing a small interior architecture/design side practice (helping friends and family) develop drawings in order to move non-structural walls, renovate closets, kitchens, etc.  I definitely need to brush up on my construction detailing and other basic skills.

Can anyone recommend the best way to go about doing so? From some quick research, none of the schools in NYC offer continuing education classes in these semi-basic subjects. Perhaps an internship would be best?  Would a small firm be amenable to a weekend internship?

Aug 12, 13 12:04 am
BulgarBlogger

Invest the $250 in graphic standards, and instead of working for an architectural firm, work for a contractor... That's the fastest way to learn... If you were to work for an architect, you would have a muh harder time understanding what you are drawing.... 

Aug 12, 13 9:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: