Archinect
anchor

Best way to create a customized portfolio website? Multimedia required.

_rococo_

I'm looking to build a new personal website -- NOT for job-hunting purposes -- in the hopes of getting critical feedback on creative works in progress.  This will include architectural projects, drawings, short films, and snippets of songs I've written that I can't seem to finish.  Including some sort of blog component would be fun too.  I can't seem to find an existing platform (even something like Behance) that adequately showcases all of these different media.

I've heard a lot about WordPress and Tumblr, but I don't have any coding skills to achieve the exact customized layout that I'm envisioning.  I used to have a Wix website, but now that it uses HTML instead of Flash, it seems to lack many customization features.

Any suggestions?  I'd like to avoid hiring someone to make a custom theme, but it might be unavoidable... I'd also like to avoid spending weeks learning Dreamweaver....

I'm also interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on such a website anyway.  My primary goal is really to get comments on works in progress (especially the film and music work).  And to get exposure via blogging, or through the comments, for starting new collaborations.

What's the fastest and cheapest way to do this?  Should I outsource?

Aug 11, 13 1:41 am
ecnal

I have had a muck around with both tumblr and wordpress, and they are pretty good. Fairly recently I decided I could no longer be bothered with the upkeep and time sucking complexity of the sites maintenance, and have opted for a paid service squarespace. They have well designed templates for the design industry, and the prices seem reasonable to me.

They have many examples of implementations, if you are curious my version is here.

www.lancevanmaanen.com

I'm sure there are other good services available from different companies, I'm happy with squarespace so far though.

Aug 11, 13 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
MarieL

I personally just started using Portfoliobox after I found this site : http://codymturner.portfoliobox.me/film. They have a free account and the system seems to be quite flexible to get a really personal result without knowing everything about css... I used Jimdo before but if you want to get a website which does not look like 10000 others, you need to customize a lot with CSS and it requires time for a novice person like me.
I think I will go on with Portfoliobox. They also have e-commerce and blog included. you can activate a comment button on any page (even if it's not a blog page) that can be useful for you...

Aug 12, 13 4:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: