Archinect
anchor

Remodel/small addition vs new build?

Jefferson

I'm considering developing a site I own into a small chiropractic clinic.  On the site is a 1 story brick house and 2 car garage.  The zoning there and in the surrounding area is changing to commercial in 6 months.  The house is from the 50s and is in decent enough shape to renovate.  It's about 1,500 sf including the garage.  I'd like to add 1,000 sf to make it work for potential doctors who will use the space.

Costwise, do you all think it's better to try and remodel/add on the 1,000sf or knock the house down and build a new 2,500sf clinic?  I worry about the can of worms I open up when reconfiguring the house, ie asbestos possibility, difficulty of connections from new addition to old house...thoughts?

Aug 10, 13 2:21 pm

Consulting starts @ $250 / hr plus expenses and 1/2 time for travel. 

Aug 10, 13 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

^  +1  ^

Aug 10, 13 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Miles's pricing is uptown, but well worth it I'm sure.  I'll consult for $180 an hour, and full-time for travel.

Aug 10, 13 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
Noah Walker

Knock it down and don't look back.  My bill is in the mail.

Aug 11, 13 12:14 am  · 
 · 
gruen
New building.
Aug 11, 13 9:24 am  · 
 · 
jefferson, you've attracted snark because you're asking professionals for free advice AND because there's no generic answer to your question.

you need someone knowledgeable to look at *your* situation and help you weigh costs vs benefits of multiple scenarios.
Aug 11, 13 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Jefferson

You guys are gangsta 

Aug 11, 13 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I'm the guy on the left.

Aug 11, 13 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
You are a racist fool.
Aug 11, 13 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Wright.Calvin

If the house has historical interest/value (being from the 50's, it probably has some charm to it) and it doesn't have major issues, I would think that renovating and expanding would be the more interesting option. Personally, I wouldn't attempt to match the addition to the existing-you won't get the character of the old house in the addition. Instead, I would make the addition purposefully in contrast, so that it functions well with the existing but creates a visual contrast.

Aug 11, 13 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Never thgt i wud see O'dog & Cold caine on archinet? (and you left out Awax, he was the real OG)

but on a serious note, i concur with post 1-4, "if you are wearing pants, to the left and right of your fly are pockets, take the money out & pay the bill"

Aug 11, 13 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

Gimme da loot

Aug 11, 13 10:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: