Archinect
anchor

Numbering Stairwells & Elevators

Do you give stairwells one number (the number assigned on the floor level where the bottom of the stair is located), or do you give the stair a number on every floor?

Do you give elevator cabs a room number?

Aug 29, 08 9:07 am
citizen

Not sure about the stairwell, but you can give the elevator hoistway (shaft) a room designation. The cab is considered a piece of mechanical equipment.

Aug 29, 08 10:58 am  · 
 · 
zoolander

Surley then are given a name independant of floor level.

Like 'East Stairwell', 'West Stairwell' etc.

Aug 29, 08 11:03 am  · 
 · 
cheapo

We do both. Stairs are named "Stair 1", "Stair 2", etc. AND they get a room number on every floor. I was talking with others at the firm about ditching the room number.

The room number, e.g. 101, is used as part of our door numbers, e.g. 101-1. The room numbers are also used on finish schedules. And one of my colleagues identified the risk that if a stair were numbered only according to the lowest floor on which it appears, a contractor might claim for an extra for the finishes on the other levels!

Aug 29, 08 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
designBandit

I never heard of the room number part, but always number stairs and elevators, per "shaft". Escalators get a different number for each particular one.

Aug 30, 08 10:39 am  · 
 · 
crowbert

The room number changing per floor is very useful to note minor changes in finish and equipment based on what floor you're on. (Skylight, sump pump/drain, etc...) And I would go one further and attempt to make each vertical shaft/stair have the same last number - East stairwell is always __02, West stairwell __03, elevator __04 - and so on so that "__04 is always the same thing and at the same place from floor to floor.

Sep 1, 08 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
pdeaton

I always number elevator cabs so that they will show up on the finish schedule. Otherwise you tend to forget about the floor finish in the cab. I use E-1, E-2 etc. We don't number shafts.

Sep 2, 08 9:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: