Archinect
anchor

Shark Week Rant

JonathanLivingston

I grew up watching shark week on the discovery channel. Staying up late it was all awesome and informational, usually focused on science and conservation. What the hell has happened?

I have been working late a lot this week and one my home work habits is to watch television while working. Nature and history documentaries are my favorite, they make great background chatter to work to. Anyways this week has been shark week and I have spent a lot of time working late into the night, and watching shark week. Figuring it would be the perfect background chatter. Boy how things have changed. There are mockmenteries about prehistory sharks, voodoo sharks for bayou folk in Louisiana, a talk show with a shark suited dude. All of it aimed at the lowest common denominator of humanity. Fear based perspectives of shark attacks mixed with hillbilly adverts for some guy named tickle who makes moonshine. 

On top of all this they have been playing this commercial ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k74ZbpkOG5M )every other commercial break, while I'm having a bear of a time with some design issues and i don't know

WTF 

I need a drink, gonna pour one out for the death of a fond childhood memory. 

Aug 9, 13 1:09 am
observant

I can relate.  When shark attacks happen on beaches at which you've gone swimming, you view things differently. 

Background chatter to work to is a good way to put it.  I was sitting there painting my living room one night and the Discovery Channel had a segment called "Jaws in the Mediterranean."  Its purpose was to dispel the myth that there are no sharks in the Med, which is absurd since the Strait of Gibraltar is not a gated entry.  I was also getting ready to go to Europe within a month or two.  It chronicled various shark attacks and sightings.  The most disturbing was a shark attack off Malta that took one of two guys who used to go swimming off Valletta together many mornings.  Another story was of some Italians recounting that a shark about 22 feet long bumped their kayak or boat off the Ligurian coast.  They really got wigged out over that one.  Can't say I blame them.

Aug 9, 13 1:45 am  · 
 · 

New reality show coming soon: Sharkitect.

First season judges are Gehry, Eisenman, Koolhaas and Hadid. Contestants compete for an unpaid internship in the panelist's firms.

Aug 9, 13 10:23 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

it's 'geek week' on you-tube, and felicia day is hosting something.

cut the cord.  you don't need cable anymore.  that stuff rots your brain.

on the other hand, i don't really give a shit about you tube, so i'm not watching that either.

Aug 9, 13 11:55 am  · 
 · 

Jonathan, I listen to the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe podcast - it's my best working background noise these days. And it's NOT pseudo-science documentary dramatization bullcrap.  Real science. I hear you on Discovery.

Aug 9, 13 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Great, yeah I will have to try that pod cast Donna, and the youtube "geek week" channel Curtkram. I usually stream most content these days, just tuned into discovery for the shark week thing and it was incredibly disappointing. I suppose this is what we get when market forces such as ratings dictate programming. It's sad. I don't think I had really realized how dumb thing had become.

Aug 9, 13 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: