Archinect
anchor

Should i stay instate for school? (Florida)

thobbs42

Hi, 

i'm going into my senior year of highschool and i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to what to do. So far the three schools i've been looking at are UF, Clemson, and UOregon. I've only really looked at UF because i heard its the best program in florida when it comes to architecture but i'm honestly not very interested in the school. i've heard that Oregon has a really good architecture program but both Oregon and Clemson have pretty high out of state costs. Does anyone know anything about these schools and is it worth spending the money to go out of state or should i just stay in Florida (provided i even get into UF). Also i've read that some schools have a 5 year B Arch program while others have 4. Is this because of accelerated courses or is there a difference in the level of education between these schools?

Aug 6, 13 4:33 pm
poop876

thobbs,

I strongly believe that no debt in architecture is worth it! I graduated college with no loans only to take out massive loans for graduate school (out of state). If I stayed in state I could have managed the debt and would have been debt free, but I'm stuck with massive payments forever.

Do not do it!

Aug 6, 13 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Hi OP:

The 4 year program and 5 year program are different things - the 4 year B.S. is not accredited and requires an accredited 2 year Master of Architecture to bolt onto it to qualify you to be an architect in all jurisdictions (states) in the U.S.  Most competent architecture students are admitted for the +2 program, either at their own school or somewhere else. The 5 year B.Arch. is accredited and it qualifies you to be an architect in all jurisdictions.

Of those schools you mentioned, UF is 4+2, Clemson is 4+2, and UOregon is 5 years.  What's the deal with UF?  Why doesn't it interest you?  Is it because it's too familiar or because half of your high school class is ending up there?  In reality, UF is, overall, the best university of those listed, and by quite a margin.  UOregon has a good architecture program, though it is not that impressive of a university, except to people who graduated from there.  UF's school that has arch., land. arch., and bldg. construction is generally well respected.

If you went to Oregon, you could get an accredited B.Arch. in 5 years as an out-of-state student.  If you went to UF, you'd get in-state rates for 4 years, and then could go to UF again, or Georgia Tech, Oregon, and many other schools for the additional 2 years which will get you an accredited M.Arch.  In reality, Oregon's architecture program is probably only marginally better than UF's.  So what if they have an emphasis in sustainability?  It's probably a focus just about everywhere in some way these days by being incorporated into design labs and courses, and you can learn it by taking a few electives.  The other thing is that, as a place, Oregon will either gel with you or it won't.  It'll be cloudy, cool, and damp almost every day of the school year (Sept. to June), which is great for concentrating on architecture, but can get depressing, too.  On the other hand, I doubt you'll need air conditioning during the school year.  Lastly, keep in mind that UOregon turns out a reasonably large class and not all of them can obtain employment in the smallish Northwest, so many head to California for work.

I'd pencil it out with your parents.  Personally, I think I'd go to UF, unless you absolutely do not want to go there, and then worry about where to go for another 2 years.  It just might be cheaper overall and you can experience two good universities.

Aug 6, 13 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
What observant said plus consider looking at other state schools that have lower costs. (When I was looking it was UT Austin and Berkeley but that was a million years ago and it's probably different now)
Aug 7, 13 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
MixmasterFestus

+1 observant's comment.

How certain are you about architecture?  Knowing nothing other than that you are a senior in high school, UF makes the most practical sense since you'd have a large variety of other programs to choose from if you ultimately decided not to do architecture.

As far as architecture goes, UF has the best undergrad reputation in the state, but you may want to look at USF, too - I think there are a lot of former UF people teaching there, and it may be cheaper / you may get a better scholarship package.  (Last I checked, Florida implemented different tuition rates for different universities, and the Bright Futures scholarship doesn't go nearly as far as it used to.)  

FAMU (I think it's a 5-year program, last I checked?) and FAU would also fall into this boat (as would UCF's weird 2+2+2 system) - I don't know much about either school.  UM is way expensive, but is a five year program.

Minimizing or eliminating debt is highly recommended, but schools may offer you different scholarships so apply anyways.  If you opt for the 4+2 route, the '4' part is all about preparing for grad school, so it makes no sense to take on a ton of debt at this stage if you can avoid it (or really, ever) - at this point, you will hopefully know more about what you want in an education to make an informed decision about where to go.

If you went the 5-year route, UO has a pretty good reputation for architecture (or at least it's improving, I seem to hear a lot about them and sustainability).  There are several other 5-year programs with pretty good reputations, and your graduate degree would be optional at that point.

A third option (and my favorite option, despite not having done this myself) is to go to undergrad for something else, and then go to grad school for architecture.  It would take longer, but you'd be more versatile - who really needs two degrees in design?  Scholarships in grad school are a little tougher to get, but at some schools you are more likely to get teaching and research assistantships that cover your tuition and pay you a stipend.  (I'm not sure if getting a degree in something like engineering or history while participating in research would increase your likelihood of getting a research or teaching assistantship in architecture grad school, but it seems like it might - ask professors!)

Aug 7, 13 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^ MixmasterFestus:

I second what you say about UF having all those other curricular options should the OP decide not to pursue architecture, and move over to something else.  We are not doubting the OP's interest in architecture, but it's good to have options at hand.  I know some people who were talented academically, and in architecture itself, and they still went on to another major, or different type of grad school later.  I also agree that minimizing debt in the first phase of college is a good idea.

Let's not introduce option 3 into the equation for this kid.  That requires a lot of 'splaining.  I did it that way.  It comes with a whole set of dos and dont's.  For now, let's get this kid embarked on studying architecture in one way or another, if that's what they want to do!

Aug 8, 13 12:18 am  · 
 · 
tsaiquan

Observant,

I don't want to derail this thread's topic but would it be possible to talk with you about option 3? I'm currently prepping for applying to grad school after having majored in a different field. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Aug 8, 13 9:54 am  · 
 · 
observant

tsaiquan,

I think that you should start a separate thread, so this one is not derailed since we're giving this kid, and I mean that in a nice way, a lot to think about as it is!

Aug 8, 13 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
thobbs42

Observant,

Maybe i worded that wrong, about UF. i'm interested in the school but not as interested as i am in the other out of state schools. Also UF has become very competitive and many people i know were denied last year which scares me because their test scores and their grades in high school were much better than mine. which is why i think i've kind of gravitated more towards the out of state schools. I wouldn't mind going to UF i'm just not certain i'll get into the school in the first place.

Aug 10, 13 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
thobbs42

Mixmaster,

i'm not 100% set on architecture but it seemed to be the only thing i was interested in after looking through different majors. My highschool offers a couple design courses mostly with a focus in engineering but one of the classes i took had a couple sections devoted to architecture and i loved the class. i figured i would apply undecided and if i ended up still interested in architecture i would declare it as my major.

Aug 10, 13 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
observant

thobbs42:

Yes, I understood that, but didn't know your specifics relative to UF.  That is a phenomenon across America that has changed markedly over the last 20 or so years.  State flagship schools such as Florida, Wisconsin, Texas-Austin, Berkeley, and Georgia are no longer bankable admits, even for good students.  Still, you should try - go for an angle to differentiate yourself and study hard for the SAT or ACT.

If UF doesn't work out, would you be willing to go to USF or to a competitive community college that has a transfer deal with UF?  I do not know USF's reputation.  Only practicing architects in that area, mostly Tampa Bay, can tell you that.

You can then branch out to other Southeastern schools, debating whether you want 4+2 or 5 which, by now, I think you understand.  I think that if UF is tough to get into, so will Georgia Tech.  There are other decent a-schools in the region, such as Auburn, Miss. State, and NCSU, but I don't know if you'd want to go there.  If you start looking far away to get in, such as to states like Texas, Oklahoma and others, then you might as well apply to U of O (Oregon).  Sometimes, to balance out the demographics of a class, someone from across the country becomes sort of interesting, the same way New England universities might want some Californians in the incoming freshman class.

With architecture, you almost need to apply to several schools.  Then, you need to familiarize yourself with the schools and pencil through the finances together with your family.

Aug 11, 13 12:07 am  · 
 · 
thobbs42

Observant:

USF only has a graduate program, i tried looking there because my brother is studying engineering there but i was kind of disappointed to find out that they only had a graduate program. I'm not really interested in the community colleges but i'm still going to apply to UF and several out of state schools. Thanks so much for all the help!

Aug 11, 13 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: