Archinect
anchor

Soup kitchen: Architectural precedent

iZNOF

I generally lurk in the shadows here (no phun intended), but I have these question(s).

1. Is there an architectural precursor to the modern day soup kitchen? I imagine it would have been a church?

2. Has anyone seen well designed examples for public service projects such as these. This project will combine a large kitchen and dining hall with transitional housing above.

Anybody?

Aug 22, 08 6:02 pm
vindingo

Sorry I can't help you with any precidents, but that was a program we had 2nd year in school. It was a fun project.

We started it out by volunteering by handing out food, then eating lunch with the people there.

Aug 22, 08 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I just did a roll up soup kitchen window - a roll up shutter inset into a former vestibule at an old catholic church. For the homeless to take it to go. Hey man everyones in hurry these days.

Aug 22, 08 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
Geof

perhaps a monastery?

Aug 23, 08 12:26 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Dr. Ben reitman's Hobo College

Aug 23, 08 1:53 am  · 
 · 
Atom
Aug 23, 08 4:55 am  · 
 · 
zoolander

Check out the olympic village's.

The dining room is usually nothing more than a soup kitchen.

Aug 24, 08 6:01 am  · 
 · 
spark

check out Koning Eizenberg - they did a few shelters or similar facilities.

Aug 25, 08 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

There is a recently finished project in Chicago that may be of interest. It was done by Stanley Tigerman and was published a couple of months back. See Tigerman's writing on the subject for moral validation, too.

Aug 26, 08 12:08 am  · 
 · 
holz.box
DAS architects

Aug 26, 08 12:29 am  · 
 · 
iZNOF

The images from DAS are interesting, but I can find any images from Koning Eizenberg or Stanley Tigerman....

Aug 26, 08 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
vindingo
Article about Tigerman's work

The project is the first one that comes up on his website.

Aug 26, 08 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: