Archinect
anchor

Rhino or 3D Studio

BulgarBlogger

So I don't understand what the advantage is exactly other than animation, of using 3D Studio vs. Rhino. And I don't mean this in terms of NURBS vs Faceted Geometry.  I have used both, and like Rhino so much more. I think it is a lot easier to use as it is more intuitive and is way more precise. 3d Studio's handling of materials seems much more involved, and yet you achieve the same renderings using Vray. Sure- 3d Studio has plugins, but Rhino does too- most importantly- grasshopper. So- what do you all think? 

Aug 2, 13 9:57 am
Veuxx
They are different tools entirely

I use 3dsmax at the very beginning of conceptual design because it is very loose and very powerful for iterative design without worrying about the precision of rhino or at the very end to render my rhino model using mental ray or vray

Rhino is the bread and butter where you are testing your ideas with true dimensions codes geometry and panel sizes. It produces accurate line drawings, it is to scale perfectly, and most importantly it will be construct-able
Aug 2, 13 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

?

Aug 3, 13 3:01 am  · 
 · 
archinet

rhino is more appropriate for architecture, as mentioned previously you can construct from it. Some older ppl use studio max bc that what they knew about back in the day at school. 

Aug 3, 13 4:48 am  · 
 · 
natematt

most importantly- grasshopper...

is that REALLY the most important thing?

Anyway, I enjoy using rhino for modeling and max for rendering, this seems like the most appropriate use of each and thus how I prefer to operate.

Feb 17, 14 10:21 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i like modelling in 3dmax because i'm familiar with it.  my office seems to have mostly abandoned 3dmax for sketchup, i assume because of the small learning curve.

the nurbs and grasshopper.... is for if you have real life clients paying you to design bubbly unbuildable stuff?  when would a nurbs actually be helpful in real-life architecture?

Feb 17, 14 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Stuff I used to do in Rhino, Maya and Max, I now do in Revit along with it's concept modeler

It's easier to have everything in one Project file and the conceptual stuff as families that can be loaded into the Revit project file to maintain design consistency and efficiency - changes can be made quickly,

I also am learning Inventor and Fusion 360 - these tools can import and export to .sat files.

That being said - I recommend Rhino - it's great for design and is the tool of choice in academia and many design offices. 

Feb 17, 14 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: