Archinect
anchor

Storefront application in wood frame construction

Mark_M

I'm currently working on a project where the owner has asked us if we could design using storefront windows for his home. I'm not familiar with any cases where this particular construction method has been used. the window manufacturers dont recommend it for commercial application but I'm pretty sure someone has done this before.

We are in the the mid-atlantic area (temperate climate zone)

Any helpful pathways will be helpful. I'm lookin for examples of details and helpful ways to seal the gaps so we can keep the good ol water out.

Aug 18, 08 11:01 am
citizen

Do you mean "window manufacturers don't recommend it for RESIDENTIAL application"?

In California, aluminum storefront systems in wood-frame structures account for a big portion of the commericial building stock. It's done all the time. I've seen storefront used here and there in houses over the years as well. I wish I could point you to specific examples...

But, yes, storefront in wood frame is common, at least out here.

Aug 18, 08 11:16 am  · 
 · 
njp

storefront will leak, so you need to design effective pan flashings at the sill if you dare use them on a wood frame building.

we've used curtain wall glazing on a few of our wood frame houses-a far superior product (much better weather protection, thermally broken etc) than storefront, especially when incorporated into a rain screen wall. if the budget allows, definately use curtain wall otherwise choose a less expensive clear anodized alum. window to give you a similar look.

Aug 18, 08 11:20 am  · 
 · 
crave

I've used this hurricane rated system in Florida http://www.alumiglass.com/index.html for a residence. it consisted of laminated, impact resistant glazing glued to the outside face of a 2x4 or 2x6 aluminum frame, depending on the span. Some areas had a 'beauty' strip (by design) placed over the glass joints but not necessary.

only issue with this system and it could have just been the installer or the curtainwall application but we ended up with large (+1/4") gaps between some of the long span alum. frames. the installer says it's from expansion/contraction yet he's in the process of trying to remedy the problem.

Aug 18, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 
mdler
http://www.metalwindowcorp.com/
Aug 18, 08 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
Mark_M

thanks for the links we just have to see if these windows meet wind load requirements in our area. and since most of the ones I have found our in the westcoast. I will have to wait until lunch time for an answer.

Aug 19, 08 8:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: