Archinect
anchor

AutoCAD + Vista or Autocad + Apple Boot Camp or Autocad + XP?

pressburg

I'm thinking of getting a laptop just for some straight forward cad stuff and CS3. I originally got a an HP laptop that came with preinstalled windows vista and I hated it! Couldn't instal anything easily. So i returned and now I'm basically on the fence between an apple where I can run the windows XP or a Dell where I downgrade software to XP. I'd perfer to get the apple, but I'm not how well cad runs on Apple, does anybody have any experience with PC architectuer applications running onthe apple boot camp? is it a bad idea?

Aug 16, 08 5:18 pm
jjh

i have been using bootcamp with xp for nearly two years and haven't had any problems. i use CS3, AutoCAD 2007, office 2007, Form Z, Rhino, etc.

Aug 16, 08 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

Yep, I'm a powerbook with bootcamp on XP right now, Acad, Rhino, Office, no sweat.

Aug 16, 08 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
gtechture

Cad programs run the fastest on Xp Professional. I just Picked up an Xi with it installed.

Aug 16, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
pressburg

that sounds encouraging, thanks!

Aug 16, 08 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
pressburg

you had to buy windows xp pro seperately, right?

Aug 17, 08 12:44 am  · 
 · 
gtechture

Yea i bought it separately but well worth it. I didn't want to take any chances with vista but it probably does its job fine.

Aug 17, 08 3:10 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Vista sucks. Beyond that, I am no help.

Aug 17, 08 8:39 am  · 
 · 
pressburg

I wouldn't touch Vista with a 10' pole!

Aug 17, 08 10:15 am  · 
 · 
complex

I wouldn't touch Vista with a 10' pole and a magnum condom on the end.

Aug 17, 08 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

XP all the way Vista is fatally flawed last week the security to the whole OS was broken by VMware people. running Vista is unprofessional and risky.

Aug 18, 08 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

wait till apple updates the macbook pro to the latest processor. I hate vista it makes my system crawl (questions, slow load times blah blah blah), I'm happy to log into OSX again and XP is a sanctuary too when i can find it.

Aug 19, 08 7:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: