Archinect
anchor

architecture salaries and job orientation

international_applicant

hi everyone,

I am planning to pursue an MArch II program in the US (Greek citizen). Lets assume i get in an ivy school. Will I ever make "good" money or not? Whats the average salary of an architect in the US finishing an ivy school? and whats if you finish a lower name school?

Will I earn more if i pursue a real estate masters?

Aug 1, 13 5:27 am

You have a better future picking olives in Greece than in architecture in the US.

Aug 1, 13 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Now thats an optimistic point of view! :)

hehe I really like your point of view miles but I will stay with architecture as it is what I am good at and what I like doing...!

So any answer to what I've asked?

Aug 2, 13 5:16 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ
Salaries.archinect.com
Aug 2, 13 7:18 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

thanks lits!

Aug 2, 13 7:41 am  · 
 · 
empea

as you can probably see from that poll (truly unique and fantastic resource, thanks archinect) there is no obvious correlation between an ivy degree and a high salary. this is because there is no discernible quality difference between ivies and all the other good schools out there as far as a graduate's ability to practice architecture goes. what really makes a difference with an ivy degree is if you're a) planning on staying in academia which is an environment severely preoccupied with such things as where you went to school and b) if you're planning on going on your own at which point the networking you do in grad school will help you a lot.

for going to work for someone else I would focus less on a name and more on picking the grad program, ivy or not, that teaches you what you deem to be useful future skills.

Aug 4, 13 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

empea thanks for your comment! It helps a lot

Aug 6, 13 11:44 am  · 
 · 

You need to be prepared to pay a lot for the education, the US does not subsidize it's universities so a greater burden in the form of tuition and fees falls to the students, that said you should disclose what interest you have, there are 130+ architecture programs in the United States which offers you a wide array of choices. Only select and NAAB accredited program, some universities have an architecture program but it is not accredited don't fall into this trap. Also some programs are just not going to work for you since you already have a degree so the B Arch (Bachelors of Architecture) Programs may not be a good fit you need a Masters program. The official list:

http://www.naab.org/schools/search.aspx?searchType=A

You should be creative in your financial aide application, you could get a graduate assistant position in a foreign language program teaching Greek while you study architecture in a different department. So if you are comfortable teaching Americans Greek you could end up with a teaching position and a huge savings in tuition.

And then there is the GRE, a computerized test an integral part of many universities admissions process.

Give this forum an idea of your interest someone should know what programs would be a good match for you.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Aug 10, 13 10:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: