Archinect
anchor

exporting sketup file to rhino

smthn

how have you been exporting in sketup to rhino?
because every time i bring a sketchup file to rhino, i get horrible meshes. Is there any way I can get a nice file without meshes from sketcup to rhino?

Thanks.

Aug 13, 08 10:33 am
d-arch

Install this plugin, then import the SKP file directly into Rhino.
http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/ThreedWareHouse.html

Aug 13, 08 11:28 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I Have it to say it....

Just model in Rhino... ITs easy and fast....

Rhino is capable of taking you so far...

Aug 14, 08 1:02 am  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i agree with diff, besides once you import it you'll have to work with it as a mesh, which is no fun.

Aug 14, 08 1:56 am  · 
 · 
harold

The love for rhino on this forum is just incredible. Next thing you'll know, people will be advising to do all CD's, schedules, material take offs in Rhino.

Aug 14, 08 2:00 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

harold i was actually going to suggest that....
well, in reality, sketchup really sucks ass, once you go beyond the scale of a residence. The files get large, curves get screwed up, its a nightmare.
Go with Rhino, life will be much better

Aug 14, 08 2:54 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

@harold--

I believe if you search the Rhino threads, you'll find Antithenes advocating almost exactly what you wrote, plus using Rhino for graphic design/page layout.

it's good, but not the end all be all program to end all other programs…

don't use sketchup models in Rhino unless you absolutely must--the meshes are awful and not always "watertight" with vertices in awkward locations…I could go on; just model it in Rhino

sketchup is an awful program and should never be used for anything more than an initial massing study, if that

Aug 14, 08 11:58 am  · 
 · 
smthn

Thanks for replies. I had to use a sketchup file in rhino because someone did some work in sketchup. but i can't stand the meshes.

I tried to do what rR16 said: downloading some files and pasting them in the Rhino plug-in folder. But, I still can't open the sketchup file in Rhino.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Aug 14, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

you're using 4.0, yes? if not that update won't work…

Aug 14, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

I just read more of the above link: you can set the import options to import the skp file as trimmed NURBS surfaces (mesh is default)--this would be much better for using skp files

also, have you closed and restarted Rhino?

Aug 14, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Smthn

After you paste the plugin files, you go to (in Rhino) options > plugins > install> select sketchup rhp file..

then you will be ready to go

Aug 14, 08 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
smthn

thanks for the replies again.

I tried what difficultfix suggested, but the error message said that I need to update rhino 4.0 service. The thing is that I am using rhino 4.0. Maybe the reason why I am having the message is that I am using a pirated version?

Also, I couldn't find the option for importing the skp file as trimmed nurbs surfaces. Could anybody tell me how to find that option?

Again, many many thanks.

Aug 18, 08 10:45 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

ya rhino is far superior to sketchup

mesh is messy i would rather have that just be behind the scenes and never have to know about it.

Rhino SR4 of V4 rhino.

i just got back from playing with V5 in LA

Aug 18, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

that being said i have used other peoples sketchup models in rhino with success even reading the materials and all for some DR change order work. on one of the highest profile locations in town on a major college town intersection.

Aug 18, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

ps don't forget the "Weld" mesh.

Aug 18, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: