Archinect
anchor

poet weds architect

Every great architect is - necessarily - a great poet. He must be a great original interpreter of his time, his day, his age.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Why architect need poetic skill? Is it really required? What will be its impact in architecture??????????

Jul 31, 13 10:13 am

There once was an architect from Nantucket...

Jul 31, 13 11:50 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Aw, c'mon Donna.  What's the rest?

Jul 31, 13 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

++ Donna

Jul 31, 13 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

poet weds architect

now there's a dual-income couple headed for bankrupture...

Jul 31, 13 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

[and I, too, want to hear the rest of Donna's limerick]

Jul 31, 13 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Like the poet or an artist, the architect must imagine worlds..  Does not literally have to write poems, although that would be refreshing in all the crap, run-of-the-mill architecture we see today. 

You either get it or you don't.. Its like some people who'll never get or appreciate art. 

Jul 31, 13 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Sorry, you guys, I'm not a poet.

accesskb's explanation is spot on. So is citizen's assessment of the couple's financial future.
Jul 31, 13 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

There once was an architect from Nantucket

who told all the poets to suck it

fixated on Plato

designed a cave that was neato

hexastyle pedimented and Doric.

Jul 31, 13 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I was long confused about the concept of poetry in architecture.

Then I heard or read some wonderfully simple definition of poetry as the use of language (tropes) to evoke the indescribable (emotions).

From there, it's a short leap to conceive of the use of architectural forms and language in a similar way.  (Of course, this is far easier to discuss than to accomplish.)

Jul 31, 13 6:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: