Archinect
anchor

What to study in free time for an architectural engineering student?

Beshoy Adel

Hi, I just finished 2nd year of architectural engineering, I couldn't find an internship (and I was too afraid of asking a lot anyway because I feel that i have no experience) SO I now have about two months or less by some days of free time before I start the 3rd year, can you tell me some suggestions of things to study, maybe links on the internet or topics to study, I tried to search for assignments as I don't completely know all of the duties of an arch. engineer but I couldn't find any good resources, I'm by the way interested in the design and the artistic part of the school more than the "engineering" part, so any suggestions?
Thanks a lot.

Jul 30, 13 6:56 am
Jonathan Elmore
Get into the software. If you want a head start, you better know it inside and out.
Jul 30, 13 7:27 am  · 
 · 
Beshoy Adel

Yea, but what kind of software, I know auto cad, 3ds max and photoshop (gimp actually) all in a beginner manner (intermediate for auto cad) but what I meant is topics to study, as for example I may use auto cad or 3ds max  to design things, but what to design if I didn't design but 3-4 low quality projects, I mean different kinds of software are  means to do things, I'm asking about those things, but if you can recommend a software which I can enjoy learning, I'll be so thankful, thanks a lot helo53e.

Jul 30, 13 8:03 am  · 
 · 
Beshoy Adel

Please post new answers, I need to know some new things to learn in my free time.

Aug 2, 13 5:42 am  · 
 · 

Spend an hour every day hand sketching buildings you see.  Focus on details of connection points (eaves, exposed structure, corners) and don't just draw what you *think* you see but what is actually "happening* in the detail.

Seriously.

Aug 2, 13 7:41 am  · 
 · 
Beshoy Adel

Thanks a lot Donna, I think I have to improve my sketching skills as I was never talented at drawing but I liked it anyway, I am going to start practicing...

Aug 2, 13 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
aaohaus

My vote would be to understand the operational end of the business (average margins, setting systems & protocols, efficiency & standards, etc.)

Viewing the world through a lens of business literacy will help you navigate this truly cruel world with a critical eye.

I know this isn't the "creation" you may be learning - but I've found it invaluable to my own life. It has opened up tremendous opportunities for me. The world is yours.

Aug 2, 13 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

here s an easy read.

the original edition is better, but take what you can get.

Aug 3, 13 4:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: