Archinect
anchor

such nice facade for highrise apt

cmrhm

The facade on this 801 chestnut building from this Della Valle Bernheimer of NY is quite interesting.

http://www.d-bd.com/

I currently am looking for a strategy to incorporate this facade idea into a highrise condo. project. Anyone have experience of doing this?

Aug 11, 08 1:11 pm
Archinect
Aug 11, 08 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

its an interesting facade
i wouldnt have been opposed to this being added to the philly skyline

what do you mean when you are looking for a strategy?
seems like an easy one to incoporate for a housing project
i'm not sure i understand the question

Aug 11, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

This facade is a more random solution. In most cases of highrise residential, the floor plans will be repeated many many floors. I am inclined to use some more regular pattens.

Here is another approach for the facade.

Aug 11, 08 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

i would think that you can have a couple elevation patterns and just make sure they are not right on top of each other in the elevation

unless your residential project has every floor exactly the same, this would probably work and still give you the same feel

you also could have the floor plans the same every floor, just have a little difference in the facade, so every condo would have a slightly different window facade

i think what makes this facade work though, is that it is a random solution
i wouldnt regularize it too much

Aug 11, 08 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Hi,Archinect:

Where did you get that picture? Did you get it from their flash website or google images?

Aug 11, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

Interesting how the '70's are back in fashion, especially on the base of that example. Randomness is key, so you need to find a way to avoid having solid walls intersect the facade, or perhaps there is a regular grid of mullions in the glass and the solid panels make the random pattern.

Just be sure you have the budget for the concept -- you don't want to get value engineered into this:

Aug 11, 08 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I did a housing project once in school where the units were shaped like tetris blocks and their forms were outlined on the facade, this led to a very high degree of unit individualization and a massive ****ing headache of a project. IMO, the beauty in housing comes from its regularity and pattern formation. The trick is design a handful of units as well as possible and then repeat.

Aug 12, 08 10:52 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

yeah it seems the trick is to make the facade seem random, yet having as few units as possible

it can be done without it ending up like the photo above

if you repeat, and maybe slide some down a bit here and there, maybe mirror some
but essentially there are only a few different types, it is possible to give it that random appearance

sounds like a fun project to work on

Aug 12, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

the horizontal bar regularity and vertical irregularity is all the rage these days:

but I've got to admit, it is a nice look, I think. and I know this is probably obvious, but the key is that it's not really random--there is a high level of regularity, just offsets or a varied pattern. also, I think this facade would be considerably less interesting if the building was strictly cubic instead of having that slight flare at the top.

Aug 12, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

Corbusier's 5 points of architecture: Free plan, free facade. You can have a random facade and a regualr floor pattern.

Also see http://www.937condominiums.com/ by Holst in Portland.

Aug 12, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Thank you, psycho-mullet. This 937 condo have an open floor plan. So the facade is free from the dimising wall location. ONe thing interesing is they don't have repetitive balconys. Resulting from it, there are no vertical elements and they are free to explore their facade.

Smart ass!

Aug 12, 08 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: